Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My staff is 13 years old, she had a fit a month ago and now

Customer Question

My staff is 13 years old, she had a fit a month ago and now has had two today, its very scary. She starts of looking like she's choking on something she's trying to chew I am guessing her tounge as it goes purple she then falls on her side with all legs moving frantic yet stiff with her head up and jaw open, she's unresponsive during the episode. When it stops which lasts two to three minutes she becomes responsive and tries to stand on her legs but her two back legs are paralysisied, she'll finally get up but is all over the place walking around breathing heavy with her tounge out.
My child witnessed it today and got very scared. I don't know what to do as no vets are open around me till tomorrow morning
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about your Staff having fits. This could be a neurologic problem (brain tumor, encephalitis, stroke/blood clot) but it could also be low blood sugar, or a heart condition. If the heart stops beating for a few seconds, the brain is deprived of oxygen and you can see "syncope" which looks just like a seizures.

Since her tongue is purple, I am worried this is syncope which is usually due to heart disease.

The treatment is different for each condition so you need to get her to a veterinarian first thing in the morning unless there is an emergency clinic open now. She needs to be examined, maybe given oxygen, while they try to find out if this is heart, low blood sugar, brain tumor, etc.

Until you can get her to a vet, all you can do is keep her cool, quiet, in a darkened quiet room. Try to get her to eat to keep her blood sugar up. Monitor her gums; if they look pale or purple this could be an emergency and tomorrow could be too late. If her gums look pink, she is stable.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 days ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard from you. How is she doing? Can I answer anything else?

Please let me know if this was helpful.