Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I am getting a miniature schnauzer, he will be arriving

Customer Question

I am getting a miniature schnauzer, he will be arriving early august. He will be approximately 12 to 13 weeks old. I had a query about vaccinations. He will of have had is first set of injections at 8 weeks (Distemper, measles, parinfluenza) but will not have a of had his second dose (DHPP). I have a bit of a dilemma as I live in a flat with no garden. When he needs the toilet can I carry him outside and place him down in a spot where I feel is safe and have checked there is no other dog faceis and let him do his business and then promptly pick him up and carry him back inside? Is this ok or is it still to much of a risk before he has had his second round of injections? I have read many conflicting things. Thank you, Andrew
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question about vaccinating your new puppy. If he had his first set of vaccinations, he needs he second set at 11 to 12 weeks of age, so he really should get the second round before you get him, or as soon as you do. Basically we vaccinate every 3 to 4 weeks for distemper and parvo virus until a puppy is at least 14 weeks old.

If he has not had his second round when you get him, taking him to the spot to eliminate as you describe should be safe if you are sure no other sick dogs have been near that spot. Not seeing dog feces does not mean there is no virus there, however. The virus can survive in soil long after the feces are broken down by rain, etc.

I would see if the breeder could get that second round done before you get him, at 11 to 12 weeks of age. Then you can get the next (and last) round 3 to 4 weeks after that.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I did not hear back from you; was this helpful? Do you have any other questions?