Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 7 year old female border collie X sheltie who means

Customer Question

I have a 7 year old female border collie X sheltie who means the world to me. I didn't want to have her spayed due to the risks of anaesthetic, urinary incontinence and other reasons. It has been 6 weeks since her last heat cycle started, the other day she was breathing fast, restless and licking herself. Our other dogs have also been sniffing her underneath and mouth. Our vet believes she is having a false pregnancy, and has advised having her spayed.
What I want to know is, is there evidence that dogs that get false pregnancies are more likely to get pyometra?
I'm sick with worry that she may develop this, but also terrified of her having to undergo surgery.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 14 days ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. IF YOU GET REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL, IT IS FROM THE WEBSITE AND NOT MYSELF. JUST IGNORE IT. I do not believe that there are any studies that have been done to support that, but it is definitely a concern that many vets, including myself have. That is basically due to the fact that a false pregnancy results from abnormalities in the reproductive hormones. A pyometra results from those same abnormalities. If they are older and has a false pregnancy, I usually recommend spaying because of the fear of a pyometra. Anesthetic protocols these days are extremely safe. If your vet uses up to date medications, monitoring, IV catheter and fluids; the risks of anesthesia are very, very low. Blood work should always be done before hand to make sure there are no underlying internal organ issues, especially with the liver and kidneys. The risk of her developing a pyometra and getting extremely sick are much higher than the risk of anesthetic death if she is healthy otherwise. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 10 days ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Border Collie Sheltie X is doing and to see if you have any other questions.