Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My Staffordshire terrior has a cluster of small lumps just

My Staffordshire bull terrior has a cluster of small lumps just beneath her ear on one side. They don't look red and it doesn't irritate her if we touch them. She has also just been in heat. Any idea as to what they are?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of these lumps to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay just a minute need to get her to be still

I'll watch for your next post.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry this is the best i could get right now. She's a very giddy girl
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Managed to get a better one

Thank you. These appear to be furuncles characteristic of a deep pyoderma (bacterial skin infection/Staph usually). Taffy's vet is likely to prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. You can begin shampooing that area daily with a shampoo containing either chlorhexidine or benzoyl peroxide which you can find over the counter where pet supplies are sold or online. That should hasten resolution of the infection. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much for your advise and time, we shall get her booked in with her vets as soon as possible and keep an eye out for the shampoo

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.