Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years
45762142

I have a cocker with a over growing pad is there any cure 2

I have a cocker with a over growing pad is there any cure 2 vets i have shown him to say no now its starting to make him limp
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 3 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Sara. When I saw the question I was thinking this was a geriatric Cocker because sometimes their pads will develop large callus like growths that can be painful but I was surprised to see this is a puppy. What do you mean bu overgrowth of his pads, are you able to upload a picture? I am suspicious that there is another reason for him limp.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i mean his pad is growing long strands of pad on back paw i will take pictures and send to you he has no other problem with his leg or pad i have seen 2 local vets to conferm this
Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I know you haven't uploaded pics yet but I just did a little research on a similar case. These projections are more of a nuisance than anything, they should either be trimmed or filed down. There are some salicylic acid gels out there like Kerasal, or Kerasolv. These are gels that will soften the fronds after they are trimmed or filed. Also, he should have blood work done just to rule out juvenile hypothyroidism. The gels you should be able to find on Amazon. This situation will just be something you have to manage and keep up with. I hope this information gives you a direction to go in. Let me know if you have any more questions. Have a great day!

Dr. S

Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 3 months ago.

Hi do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks very helpful i have trimmed the pad and looked for kerasal hope this will ease trimming thanks again look forward to working him this season Michael
Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 3 months ago.

You are welcome!