Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My Labrador was spayed in late feb. Since then she has had a

My Labrador was spayed in late feb. Since then she has had a couple of episodes of oozy spot on the scar. This time my vet took a swab and she was diagnosed with mrsa and put on trimacare 80. After 10 days another swab was taken which came back negative for mrsa. She is still on trimacare for another 2 weeks and will then be swabbed again. However she continues to have a red rash in the skin fold of her tummy and a new red spot a little further up near her belly button. Could this still be the mrsa or could she have a different infection too? Why have the antibiotics not cured this rash if they have eradicated the mrsa? Or could it be something unrelated? In herself she is lively and eating well. Many thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your are concerned about Lola and MRSA. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

These new lesion may or may not be related to MRSA; the only way to tell would be to do another swab and culture.

You might consider asking your veterinarian for an ointment containing mupirocin, an antibiotic effective against MRSA and using it on these new lesions.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thankyou. I will definitely ask my vet about the ointment. The redness in her tummy fold has been there all the time, both when the mrsa was positive AND when it was negative. I really don't understand how the antibiotics can have 'cured the mrsa but not this which I assume is also some type of infection. Is this possible???
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

You are welcome; that is the first thing I would try if she were my own.

Anything is possible with MRSA; it can be a stubborn infection. This redness may not be MRSA, it could an allergy, but trying the mupirocin is a safe thing to do. Let me know how she is doing and if I can answer anything else.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thankyou very much for all your help Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

You are welcome. Please let me know how she is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows to credit me for assisting you!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the great rating.