nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog under went a General anthestic on thursday and has

Customer Question

My dog under went a General anthestic on thursday and has recovered fine from it. This morning she has had very loose stools but what is concerning me there was fresh blood in it. What could cause this.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She was just inder a GA for a proper dental check and scale and polish. She had a blood screen before it and was on iv fluids during the GA. She was given a light meal on thurs night and she had been back to normal.
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How much blood did you see (spoonful, cupful, etc)?

What color was the stool itself?

Is she on any medication post dental?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello. It was probably about between a teaspoon/tablespoon of blood. It was a loose stool and it was very light brown. No medication post dental and her gums are normal nice and pink. Her tummy is fine and she isnt reacting at all when i have a good feel around it.
No she couldnt of eaten anything harmful at all. Im hoping it is just an upset stomach but it is the fresh blood that has made me worry.
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

Now I am glad to hear Kara isn't passing much blood.

In this case, these signs suggest a mild colitis -likely inflammatory but bacterial would be a concern as well. We can also see similar signs with anal gland disease (though often we will also see a swelling to the side of the rectum or they will be sore -- so this would be less likely here), parasitic infection (ie whipworms) and protozoa (ie Giardia, coccidia) but given the timing post dental these would be a bit more coincidental.

In regards ***** ***** approach here, if we have an inflammatory colitis (which can be triggered by stress) then this can sometimes be settled with a light/easily digestible diet. (Though bacterial induced colitis will often require antibiotic treatment). Examples of bland diets would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases like this (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. We usually will try them on the diet for a week until signs settle, and then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week. And as her stools are quite loose, fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. As well, if Kara hasn't been wormed recently that base could be covered as well.

Overall I do suspect she has a mild colitis here and the stress of her dental may be what has triggered this for her. Therefore, consider the above just now to see if we can reduce her loose stools and with it the blood we have seen. If you try the above and this doesn't settle in the next 24-48 hours or you are seeing blood from the rectum not associated with her passing feces, then you would want to want to follow up with her vet. If you do so, consider bringing in a fecal sample with you for evaluation. The vet will be able to examine her, assess her hydration, and if they too suspect bacterial colitis, then the fecal sample can be sent to the lab for evaluation to identify the agent responsible and what treatment will be effective to clear it. As well or alternatively, the vet can also cover her with broad spectrum antibiotics to treat against the most common bacterial agents of colitis.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**