Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I don't have a dog but at the end of july, my friend brought

I don't have a dog but at the end of july, my friend brought his dog into my flat for 7 days and the dog was riddled with fleas.
The vet has since treated the dog, and in the last two weeks i have been getting more and more bites.
I know dogs can carry flea eggs, but can humans carry the same amount of flea eggs in their clothes or less?
I wear my pyjamas all day as I am poorly and the sofa i sleep on has fleas.
Will I have as many fleas eggs on my garments as the dog did on his fur?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please may we carry on our conversation in the morning - i know i said right away but i dont mind waiting till morning as i have suddenly started feeling really tired. Thanks.Hope thats ok, look forward to talking tomorrow.

Yes, you're welcome to return to our conversation at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Please could you advise regarding my question, I also added a few more questions. I don't have a dog but at the end of july, my friend brought his dog into my flat for 7 days and the dog was riddled with fleas.
I know dogs can carry flea eggs, but can humans carry the sameamount of flea eggs in their clothes or less?I wear my pyjamas all day as I am poorly and the sofa i sleep on has fleas.
and can only bathe once a fortnight using baby wipes at other times.
Could the dog have brought more than one flea species on him as i have different bites?

Please note that fleas lay eggs mostly in the cracks and crevices of your flooring and often under furniture. They don't lay eggs on your clothes. The bites you're getting are from newly hatched (and hungry) fleas. Yes, both dog and cat fleas may be present. You're going to need to fumigate your flat which can be done professionally or you can purchase an over the counter spray such as Siphotrol Area Treatment Spray which contains not only an adulticide but also a larvacide and ovacide in the form of the insect growth regulator (IGR) methoprene. IGR's don't allow eggs and larvae to develop into adult fleas thus breaking up their life cycle. Avoid the inefficient foggers which aren't capable of treating under furniture. You may have to treat your flat more than once. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for answering my question, I also have the pupae, I bought some IGR spray but it does not kill the pupae, I know i have the pupae because of the date the dog came in and the amount of time i have been bitten. can you recommend anything in the UK that kills the pupae.
Also, I am on diazepam which I take every day, will the professional insecticides affect the diazepam because i am addicted to it and am currently cutting down/ Thanks

Methoprene is not toxic to the pupal or adult stages;although treated larvae will pupate, adults do not emerge from the pupal stage. In other words, you don't need to kill the pupae. There's no evidence that insecticides used by professionals fumigators can affect diazepam after you've taken it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi thanks, ***** ***** I already have the pupae, as some adult fleas have already hatched out and I have about 30 bites. If Methoprene is not toxic to the pupae, won't they hatch out at some stage?
I cannot vaccuum them as many of them are in loft insulation.

No, while the methoprene doesn't kill the pupae, it does block their maturation into adults.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi the only products i can find with methoprene also have Permethrin in and that acts on gaba A receptors, the same receptors my diazepam acts on, can you recommend a spray that only has methoprene in please.
Also, as the flea eggs have been iin the fibreglass insulation where the dog scratched since 24th July, will the some of the pupae already have hatched out please?

I'm not familiar with products in the UK but you can check Amazon UK for products containing just methoprene. I found this: https://www.amazon.com/Methoprene-Insect-Growth-Regulator-Makes/dp/B015BSTC36

Yes, some of the pupae have already hatched..which is why you're being bitten by adult fleas today.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I cannot find such a product in the UK, the only ones i can find contain deltamethrin, bendiocarb, or permetrin, and I don't know if those will make me more poorly by interacting with my diazepam.

I regret that I can't know that. You'll need to ask your doctor if that's a risk.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.