Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 1 ears old female pug has one swollen nipple. She

Customer Question

Hello my 1 ears old female pug has one swollen nipple. She scraches all of her nipples all the time even if I wash her once a week. 3 of her nipples are not even out. I mean I can feel the nipples inside of her and it's been like this from a puppy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 UC Davis graduate and practice owner. Please reply with a hello so I know we are connected before continuing

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, At this age, I would be hard pressed to believe there is a concern for mammary cancer. Therefore, a swollen nipple is more likely to be a infected "teat" like having mastitis.

So, if a gland is infected, Chilli, will likely need to go on a course of oral antibiotics and maybe a medicated topical agent as well to get the problem resolved.

The scratching under abdomen all the time is highly suggestive of a concern problem like a environmental allergy (atopy) or food allergy. Of course, fleas are always a consideration if not currently on good flea control.
So, with any chronic itching or licking of the body, I always remind clients to keep allergies as a cause in the back of their minds.

For some of the other abnormal nipples, especially if it has been that way for that long, it is likely not a problem to be concerned about. But, during examination, make sure the vet feels all of the teats to ensure no other concerns.

Dr. Andy