How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 30346
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now

I am unsure of whether my puppy (9 & 1/2 weeks old) had a

Customer Question

Hi there, I am unsure of whether my puppy (9 & 1/2 weeks old) had a small piece of a mushroom this morning. She seemed fine, she has been eating and drinking normally, but she has been more lathargic than normal? Should I take her to the vets first thing in the morning?
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 29 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 29 days ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your puppy, please?

Because of the difficulty in differentiating between toxic and nontoxic mushrooms any ingestion of unidentified mushrooms by pest should prompt decontamination procedures. Inducing emesis should be done under the guidance of a vet and then activated charcoal (the “universal antidote”) is tubed down my patient’s gastrointestinal tract. The prognosis after mushroom ingestion varies widely; for example...

GI irritant, muscarinic, and hallucinogenic mushrooms: excellent with supportive care

Hepatotoxic mushrooms: guarded to poor with hepatotoxicosis (liver poisoning)

Gyromitin containing mushrooms: guarded with hepatotoxicosis and hemolysis (red blood cell breakdown)

Nephrotoxic (kidney poisoning): guarded.

Have any untoward signs arisen?