Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 12 year old yorkie was passing blood in his urine from

My 12 year old yorkie was passing blood in his urine from time to time and was taken to the vet last week where he was prescribed anti biotics. However, he is still passing blood - not all the time but he is leaving little pools of dilute blood around the house. What could the problem be if its not a bladder infection/ How long should the antibiotics take to work? Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again, I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did your vet take x-rays, urinalysis, urine culture & sensitivity, etc.?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
No the vet thought it was most likey to be a bladder infection so didn't do anything further. No other symptoms at all - he seems absolutely fine apart from this
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
He does tend to pass small quantities of urine more frequenty than before
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 30 days ago.

I am sorry for the delay in response. I was offline by the time you came back. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 30 days ago.

Gill, certainly an infection could be the cause of the bloody urine in Dillon. But, there are many other medical conditions like bladder stones, prostate disorders, kidney disorders, coagulopathies, etc. to name a few causes. It is also important to remember that he could have an infection that is resistant to the antibiotics he is on. At this point, Dillon will need some testing to pinpoint the exact underlying cause and establish a treatment plan. I would recommend the following:

1- X-rays to rule out bladder stones.

2- If the x-rays are normal I would discuss with your vet about doing a urine culture & sensitivity (C&S); this test will isolate the underlying bacteria causing the infection and provide a list of antibiotics that can be used to kill the bacteria.

3- Blood work to make sure kidney, liver, etc. are all within normal limits.

If the blood work and x-rays are normal pending the culture and sensitivity I would switch him to a different type of antibiotic.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Thank you - I will take him back to the vet tomorrow. I know that, at his age, some things more sinister are possiblities. Is it likely/possible that he may have a tumour?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 30 days ago.

Yes, bladder tumors can occur. However, there are many other disorders more common like bladder stones. I would have a tumor lower on the list of possible causes.

You're welcome. :)

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 30 days ago.

You're welcome. :) Keep me posted.