Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have a 13 year old staffordshire terrier and he has a

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 13 year old staffordshire bull terrier and he has a rather large growth/mass under his belly between his back legs. He is on antibiotics and steroids daily as his vets (PDSA) say he is to old to operate on. It all started October 2016 when he devolved a nasty lump on his testicals so he went in to have them removed and they removed some of his scotum as that was inflamed after the operation he seemed well but I'll say the last 2/3 months a mass has grown and now he is having trouble walking and even sitting/laying he is finding difficult. The vet are sure it is a tumor BUT they have not X-rayed or scanned him at all as they say there is nothing they could do anyway. I have googled all sort of natural remedies to try and shrink the tumor but I am stuck as to what to do so would like another opinion. I hope you can give me some advice. Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  DocPaul replied 1 month ago.

Well his age is NOT a reason to not operate. IF his blood and urine tests are normal and he is otherwise healthy then an ultrasound of the mass and possible surgical removal is indicated. I say ultrasound because we need to know if the mass is adhered to other tissues and how far it infiltrates into things. Also need to know how much blood supply it has.

So I would start with an ultrasound and possible aspirate/biopsy to find out what you are dealing with.

How big is the mass? and could this be a something other than a cancer? That is why the ultrasound.

Paul