Ask a Dog Question, Get an Answer ASAP!
Dr. Paul here.
I know that it can be frustrating but it sounds like the veterinarian did the least invasive test first-the fine needle aspirate. It is not uncommon for these to be non-diagnostic thus prompting the need for a biopsy.
Did I read correctly that the lymph nodes are no longer enlarged?
Thanks for the added info. If the lymph nodes are no longer enlarged I highly doubt this is lymphosarcoma. They may have been reactive nodes or salivary glands and now that they are no longer enlarged/palpable you are probably okay just monitoring them. You are welcome to send me a photo of the neck if you think it will help me. But I trust your assessment that they are not enlarged any more.
Thanks for the info.
It is a tough call so dont feel bad. If the nodes are smaller then before and no longer palpable then I would wait a week as long as Benny is eating and drinking and otherwise normal. If the nodes get bigger or if Benny starts acting sick again then you should have the biopsy done. Note that I say biopsy and not aspirate. The latter was non-diagnostic and will likely be that again. So if they are going to perform a second procedure it should be a biopsy.
Hope this helps and feel free to fire more questions at me if you have them.
Thanks for the extra information. It could be that the nodes were enlarged for a bit before you noticed-nor picking on you ha ha-in which case maybe they were enlarged secondary to kennel cough or another viral disease.
If they are normal now i would wait. If it was my dog I would wait.
Give it a few days to a week and then re-assess.
And do not hesitate to reach out to me if you have more questions!
IF the lymph nodes were enlarged I would have done the aspirate-yes.
If they were not enlarged or were significantly smaller than a few days prior I would have waited.
You are very welcome.
Please keep me posted.