Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My Cross Border Terrier/ Shi tzu has eaten either 1 or two

My Cross Border Terrier/ Shi tzu has eaten either 1 or two picnic bars.. I think it was one but it could have been two.. what should I be doing ?
Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the terrier will be able to digest that. What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Her name is Maddie
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maddie?
Customer: She will be three yrs old in November , she has been a very healthy little dog
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

If you're referring to the chocolate covered Picnic candy bars, there isn't enough milk chocolate in them to intoxicate your dog. The theobromine in milk chocolate becomes toxic - causing vomiting, agitation, and tremors soon after ingestion - at a bit less than 1 ounce per pound of body weight and even two of the bars doesn't nearly approach that amount. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but Maddie wasn't intoxicated and will remain safe. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your expertise and help, I will rest easy tonight .. one question though can you please confirm that I received this help because I agreed to one payment to be taken from my card.. one screen that showed up on my laptop was stating monthly payments and I did not agree to that... Thank you

You're quite welcome. Please contact customer service at ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us/ or 1-***-***-**** for help in that regard.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.