Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 9 1/2 year old Rottie cross who has been very fit and

My 9 1/2 year old Rottie cross who has been very fit and healthy, her stomach has within the last week suddenly blown up (double in size) and is rock hard. She does not seem to be in any pain and is eating, drinking, weeing and poohing as normal . Any ideas as to what this might be please?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You appear to be describing an abdominal effusion - free fluid in the abdominal cavity. Organomegaly (enlargement of abdominal organs) and gaseous distension of the gastrointestinal tract are other considerations in such a pet. Effusions can result from heart, liver, kidney, and bowel failure as well as neoplasia or infection in the abdominal cavity. Her vet will want to throughly examine your dog and if found to be effusive, perform diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests, tap a small amount of that fluid and examine it for its physical qualities and cellularity, and X-ray or ultrasound her abdomen. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.