How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask nekovet Your Own Question
nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 21762
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Question Here...
nekovet is online now

I picked up a 11week old puppy yesturday and she seems fine.

Resolved Question:

Hi i picked up a 11week old puppy yesturday and she seems fine. But my 2 others dogs started showing signs of kennel cough yesturday evening and this morning. Am just a bit worried that she might catch it and be worse off being so young
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has she had any vaccines before coming to you?

Has she been in contact with the other dogs at all (same room, airspace, etc)?

For her or them: Any nasal discharge? What color? From one or both nostrils?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi she has had vacinated but not for kennel cough. They have been seperated today but were in the same room together yesturday and have not seen any nasal discharge from any of the dogs
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

Now the dilemma here is that Ivy has been on contact/shared an airspace with the others already so there is high risk of her contracting this especially with how immune naïve puppies are generally and when faced with that stress of leaving mum. Still, just in case she was lucky and didn't pick up the bacteria, we'd want to isolate her from the others. We don't want her as far from the room they are in as possible (perhaps even have her stay at a friend's that hasn't a dog) since it is airborne and would want to think about changing clothes/shoes and good hand washing between handling her and the others. As well, we will want the other dogs seen by the local vet for antibiotics to get this settled as quick as we can (we may even need her on a short prophylactic course). Any delay and we can just try to soothe their throats (for their comfort but so they are coughing less into the air) by treating with a mild cough suppressant like glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated and tickly throat. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM. I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours.

Overall, she is high risk for developing signs herself in 7-14 days if she has even been in the same airspace with them. But just in case she hasn't contracted it yet, we are best to isolate her and barrier nurse to prevent further exposure and of course need to get them on treatment to lessen their risk to her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the advice all 3 of them have a vets appointment tommorow. If she was to catch it are there any other problems or illnesses it can cause?
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Generally speaking, she'd just have the same signs but it could be harsher on her body (since she won't have as strong an immune system) and could become a pneumonia. But if they are due to be seen tomorrow and since she has no signs yet, we'd not be overly worried about it being more severe just yet, but would want her seen so that her vet can treat to offset that risk.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

**************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

nekovet and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for all your help really appreciated
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome,

I am glad to be of help. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.