DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs exp. Emerg, Int Med, Ultrasound, Gen Practice.
20798050

Im looking for advice on urine infections in puppies. Iv had

Customer Question

Hello, im looking for advice on urine infections in puppies.
Iv had my puppy at my vet several times with consistent urine infections, she has been prescribed antibiotics several times that have not worked, as soon as she comes off them her symptoms return within 24 hours. She then had a scan which showed that she has an enlarged bladder that is sitting right back into her pelvis and therefore a shorter urethra than normal. They also discovered that her infection was a strain of e.coli and so got different antibiotics. She was on these ones for two weeks and when she finished the course no symptoms followed, until today, having been off the antibiotics for almost two weeks. She had accidently had a pee on the kitchen floor and there was spots of blood in her pee. Is there anything i can do to help reduce her chances of continually picking up these infections? I have read that many people give their dogs cranberry tablets and/or cranberry juice and that it really helps, is this ok to give my puppy.
She is a boxer of 5 months old.
Reanne
Category: Dog
Expert:  DocPaul replied 29 days ago.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

It is good that they dis an abdominal ultrasound but did they only look at the bladder and not the ureters, kidneys?

And has she been dribbling urine ever?

Paul

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Hi Paul
They only mentioned the abnormalities of her bladder and said that they didn`t know what to do with it or if it would change as she aged. Iv only come to realise this evening after looking into it more myself tonight that there are more they could have tested for that they have never mentioned. She doesn't dribble that iv ever seen, its more that she strains when i take her out but has lots of little pee's often in the house that have blood spots in them.
Reanne
Expert:  DocPaul replied 29 days ago.

Yes and who did the ultrasound- was it a specialist? If not then I would want one to do that. I have taught veterinary ultrasound for many years and the skill of the operator is a huge factor in getting the diagnosis.

They should be looking at the whole urinary tract for sure. We need to know that there is no infection higher up.

It could also be that we are really just dealing with a resistant e.coli and they need to be culturing the urine after antibiotics are started and after they are finished.

Make sense?

Paul

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
That totally makes sense yeah.
They did a pneumocystogram, an x-ray - set up + 1st exposure and an x-ray - subsequent exposure (sorry not sure exactly what all that means so copying it of my letter) but they had to send the results to the veterinary school as nobody here had ever seen this in a puppy before. The urine samples they took were always loaded with thousands of crystals. Iv kinda lost my confidence in them to be honest and i dont want her to keep suffering like this as it has been ongoing now for almost 3 months. Is there anything i can do myself to help prevent these in the future if all she needs is a longer dose of antibiotics.
Expert:  DocPaul replied 29 days ago.

Personally- I would consider a different veterinarian.

If she has lots of crystals then there are lots of issues here.

What type of crystals?

Could she have a portosystemic shunt- if they are ammonium acid urate crystals

If they are struvite then she almost for sure has another UTI

Paul

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
They didnt say what type they were and i didnt know there were different types so i never asked. I have one other veterinarian practice where I live so if I go to them what should I be asking them to do/look for?
Reanne
Expert:  DocPaul replied 29 days ago.

Well we need a good ultrasound done and I worry that neither clinic is going to be able to deliver on that

How close is the nearest vet teaching hospital? Where do you live?

Paul

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I live in Orkney, a small Island in the north of Scotland.
Reanne
Expert:  DocPaul replied 29 days ago.

Okey dokey :)

Well we will work with what we have okay?

Suggest you stick with the one clinic now.

Can you get me all the reports thus far, including the US report?

I will review all of these for you and my wife, who is a veterinary pathologist with an interest in micro can review the culture reports.

Lets do it that way.

To start.

Paul

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thats fantastic, thank you so much. I will go to them tomorrow and request all of her reports and send it all to you.
Thanks again.
Reanne
Expert:  DocPaul replied 29 days ago.

You are very welcome.

You can just take photos of the results and send them as pictures here.

And please dont forget to rate me- That is how I get paid :)

Paul

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Hi Paul,
Sorry but I have been trying for ages to find a way to add or upload these photos of Maiya's reports to you but it wont allow me to.
Reanne
Expert:  DocPaul replied 28 days ago.

This site sucks for that- sorry!

What if you type the results in here?

Paul

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Good morning, think I may have just got it to work from my phone? The pages might be in the wrong order but they have the page number on them at th bottom.
Reanne
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
HelloHave you had a chance to look at the files i sent you
Expert:  DocPaul replied 17 days ago.

Good morning!

I was overseas with my daughter

Getting back to work now :)

Let me review today and opine

Paul

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hello Paul
OK thank you.Reanne