Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has rapid eye movements like she's dizzy and won't

My dog has rapid eye movements like she's dizzy and won't eat or drink...she's also walking to the side...is this serious? She's around 9 yrs old and was a rescue dog...iv got no medical history really for her.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 28 days ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. It sounds like she has a vestibular disorder. Most of the time, these aren't serious, but they can be. With her age, the first thing I would be looking for is an inner ear infection. It can also be seen with head trauma, middle ear polyp or tumor, certain infections around the brain, a brain tumor, metronidazole (an antibiotic) toxicity and thiamine deficiency (unlikely if on a good dog food). Now, we often see the problem in geriatric dogs and do not find a cause for it. They usually resolve in 1-2 weeks but may need supportive care, which can include assistance with eating, drinking and going to the bathroom. Some dogs have to hospitalized. She is a little younger than when we normally see it, so that would make me concerned that something else is going on. My best recommendation is to get her to your vet for a full exam to find an underlying cause. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thank you for answering so fast...she does have a heart murmur...I was told this at her last visit to the vets...could this cause the symptoms? She's now been sick a few times too...is this normal?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 28 days ago.

You are welcome. Heart problems aren't usually a cause of vestibular problems. Most likely not related. We do see vestibular syndrome from time to time, so it is not abnormal. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
OK thank you for ur advice and help. I will get her to the vets in the morning. Thank's again.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 28 days ago.

You are very welcome. Let me know if you need anything else.