Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 16 year old Maltese Shitzu female dog has quite recently

My 16 year old Maltese Shitzu female dog has quite recently lost te abililty to stand up on her back legs. Since her seizures that started this summer, he balance has deteriorated but now she seems to have lost the desire to even try to stand up fully. She also shivers a lot. Any ideas?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 24 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Soda. To answer you directly, I need to consider a general geriatric weakness which might be caused by profound anemia or any number of metabolic disorders, myelopathies (spinal cord disorders) such as degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk"), fibrocartilaginous embolism (an interruption in the vascular supply to the spinal cord), neoplasia in or around the spinal cord, and lastly encephalopathy (brain disorder) also manifesting as seizures. Shivering/shaking/tremors/panting are usually associated with pain in my patients.

Pragmatically speaking, a 16 year old needs to respond to a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam. These drugs are usually administered for at least ten days. Most simple disks (if, indeed, Soda suffers from a disk) will remiss within a few weeks. It's important to keep these dogs as quiet as possible lest they hurt themselves further. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thank you Dr. I had a suspicion that she has hurt her back but I didnt realise that her shaking was possibly due to pain, I thought it was because she was elderly and her blood was thin, causing her to feel the cold more. I value your thoughts and will act accordingly. Your advice is invaluable to me, thank you again so much.Annie

You're quite welcome, Annie. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.