Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog is a diabetic and has just stolen a pumpkin pie and

My dog is a diabetic and has just stolen a pumpkin pie and eaten the lot. Should I do anything to combat the increased sugar intake?

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, you should estimate how many calories you should restrict in her next regularly scheduled meal but you shouldn't alter her insulin dose. The goal is to keep her daily caloric intake constant. I understand that your estimate is necessarily subjective. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is due her next meal tomorrow morning when she will be due her 9 units of insulin. How long do I restrict her calories for ?

Ah! Thank you. I believe that it's after 9PM there. Because it's so long until her next meal you needn't alter the amount fed. She'll become transiently hyperglycemic tonight but that isn't dangerous and her next insulin injection will normalize her. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When you say transiently hyperglycaemic, how will that manifest itself symptom wise?

Increased thirst and volume of urine, lethargy...the same symptoms you noticed prior to his being diagnosed as a diabetic.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Many thanks!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.