How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DocPaul Your Own Question
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 2459
Experience:  20+ yrs exp. Emerg, Int Med, Ultrasound, Gen Practice.
20798050
Type Your Dog Question Here...
DocPaul is online now

My 34kg Golden Retriever may have ingested a small amount of

This answer was rated:

My 34kg Golden Retriever may have ingested a small amount of sultanas. I am extra careful about grapes and sultanas but my parents bought bird feed, which is mostly seed with very few sultanas and have been putting it out on the ground for about four days.I only noticed today that it had sultanas in it and this was about an hour ago, and after witnessing Sophie-dog eating some of the mix about two hours ago.My Dad is going to take her to the Vets when he's back from work in one hour but I know this will be too late to induce vomiting.I just read someone else asking a Vet (Dr Scott Nimmo) a similar question on this site and being told that their dog of a similar weight would need to eat roughly 82 raisins to be at risk (0.02 ounces per kg) but I've also heard that raisin/grape toxicity is not dose dependent from another UK Vet so I'm confused??Should we get fluid therapy etc for this? The mix is mostly seeds.

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

You are correct!

Do you have hydrogen peroxide at home?

If so please give 2.0 ml/kg right now

Okay?
Paul

Are you still there?
Hello?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello,I don't have any to hand. She may not have ingested a single sultana as the mix is mostly seeds. We are taking her to the Vet as soon as possible when I get the car in an half an hour. Do they definitely need to make her vomit?

If she ate even a few raisins then yes

The amount of raisins ingested does NOT correlate to the clinical signs

Paul

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, thank you. We took her to the Vet and he's taken bloods as she has been exposed to the bird seed for 4 days now. I'm just hoping she'll be ok.

Very welcome!

Thanks for the update

Let me know the results of the blood tests

Paul

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

How is our patient

Paul

DocPaul and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you