nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has a large stomach after eating dry food she wasn't

my dog has a large stomach after eating dry food she wasn't supposed to get back did it when i was asleep then drank lots of water, she's acting fine was a bit restless earlier but now is sleeping. should i phone vet?

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

How much dry did she have?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
a couple of hours happened last night, i dunno how much she ate no pain or discomfort when i press on her stomach her gums are pink and her breathing is 30

Good, that is great to hear that Ruby's breathing, gums and belly are all normal there.

With that and as she is sleeping, we don't need to rush her in. Many dogs will suffer from "food bloat" when the overeat kibble and we can often see mild cases of restlessness, belly distension, gas expulsion (via burping or farting), nausea, +/- vomiting or diarrhea. More severe cases can also develop dehydration and electrolyte imbalances from the dry food pulling fluid from the body into the GI. That all said, most mild cases (without those last 2 signs) this is often something that resolves on it's own over 24-48 hours without any specific intervention. So, since she hasn't even those signs and those urgent ones I had you check are normal, we can plan to just monitor her for the next 24 hours.

As we do, provided she isn't non-productive retching or straining (signs of a gut twist), her gums stay pink, her breathing stays at a normal rate (20-30 breaths per minute) and she shows no distress, then you can keep monitoring. Any changes to this, and we'd want her seen urgently. Otherwise, we just need to hold off on feeding her for the next 24 hours to give her body time to digest all she has had. As well, we do need to be careful with water since it will expand the dry dog food and can worsen the distension. So, just give small amounts of water (1/4-1/2 cup) every 1-2 hours. After that time frame has passed, resume feeding but only give 25-50% of her normal meal size. Once 48 hours have passed, provided all has settled, you can restart her normal feeding routine. And we'd hope to see no issues for Ruby but of course any of those worrisome signs I noted and that would be our sign to have her seen.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you, ***** ***** the dry dog food last night about 6pm 17 hours ago so for dinner tonight can i just giver her canned meat without the mixer as worried it'll make her stomach worse? if she starts being sick due to the grass can that make things worse?

You are very welcome, my dear.

Yes, we can give a quarter sized meal of canned meat tonight. Alternatively, we could even feed a small meal of cooked rice with boiled chicken, cottage cheese or white fish. And if she were to eat grass and bring up some of the kibble (usually at 17 hours post it will be in the intestines) that'd not be a major issue since less out means less to pass. But if she was vomiting profusely or really grass eating loads (which would tell us she is very nauseous), we could give her a small dose of Zantac (2mg per kilogram of her weight every 12-24 hours) to just soothe that for her. Its just the bloat with non-productive retching we have to be cautious with since that is a sign of gut twist (an emergency) but that is less likely here but of course I did just want to mention it so you had an eye out for it.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
okay thanks again

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.