Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have an old Groenandael rescue from Spain. She has

Hello I have an old Groenandael rescue from Spain. She has recently begun losing weight but her appetite is suddenly increasing to the extent that I am forced to feed her three/four times a day (good quality dog food). She is also very much less calm than when I got her two months ago and seems totally restless and hyped up. She is not drinking excessive water, is walked well twice a day, she does not struggle to wee or poo and I can find no sensible answer having rescued these dogs for over 40 years and knowing them well. I should be really grateful for any ideas to help me pinpoint the problem.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

She could be hyperthyroid, if she is losing weight but has an increased appetite and is more restless.

Is she drinking more water than usual?

A blood test would tell you if her thryroid level is higher than normal. Having your veterinarian palpate her thyroid gland to feel for enlargement or a lump on her thyroid might indicate this is her problem.

If her thyroid levels are normal, it could be some other hormone imbalance.

Is there any vomiting or diarrhea? Sometimes inflammatory bowel disease can cause weight loss with increased appetite, and restlessness from pain/discomfort. Usually but not always there is vomiting and/or diarrhea.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Rebecca..I had thought of diabetes but her water consumption has not increased and I was not sure if dogs could get problems with thyroid, so your answer is very helpful. I will get her an appointment on Monday
Best wishesChris Connolly

Please let me know what you find out. Thank you for the great rating.