nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

During a walk in the country, my 4 year old Golden Retriever

During a walk in the country, my 4 year old Golden Retriever ate something green and grass like and threw it up when we reached home an hour or so later. She has eaten nothing since the (about 72 hours).She appears to be quite content, suffering no pain and is sleeping more that usual.Do I need to visit the emergency vet today or wait until she can get to see her regular vet tomorrow?Bernard

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does the vomit look like?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The vomit looked like undigested flat grass. She also threw up clear digestive juices.Not drinking much but is not drinking much either.Her gums are normal, not pale or sticky but there appears to be a small front tooth breaking through on her lower jaw.No reaction when I press her belly.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't think I can add much more. Will I receive a follow-up answer without a telephone call?

Hello again,

I have just received your reply and will type/post mine shortly (please disregard the call offer its an auto feature of the site).

Dr. B.

Now the tricky issue here is that we don't know what she had when she was on the walk and there are many, many plants that can trigger GI upset and gastritis. Therefore, at this stage and since she hasn't those more urgent signs I asked about, we do need to take a symptomatic approach for Samantha.

To do that, our first step would be to tread with nausea (that has made her vomit and caused the appetite loss). For that we can give her a small dose of an a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). . The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Overall, her signs do suggest gastritis induced by the mystery pant she chewed. So, we'd want to use the above for her to settle her gut. Of course, if she doesn't settle with the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet to assess her and treat with injectable anti-nausea medication +/- fluids to nip this in the bud for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** do as you propose and get her to her vet tomorrow if there is no improvement.Thanks for your efforts.Bernard

You are very welcome, Bernard.

Happy to be of help and that sounds like a perfect plan of action :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

*********************************

Please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.