Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My 12 year old has started to behave weirdly. She has always

My 12 year old ***** ***** has started to behave weirdly. She has always been obedient & happy. Now she will jump from one chair to another ( we have always restricted her acces to chairs & sofas ), if we tell her to “go to bed” now she scurries away and will keep scurrying and will not obey. We’ve taken her to the local vet & her bloods are clear, she might have a little bit of arthritis. She’s a ver fit dog; walked most days. She’s been well loved & taken care off. We cannot understand what’s happening. Would have any suggestions?
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I should have said, her behavior is like that of a nervous illness. So unlike her lovely happy self. Now she’s unhappy and I would say when she behaves this way she’s distressed.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Buttons. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Great

A change in behavior like this in a 12 year old dog could be from cognitive dysfunction ("Senility", "brain aging"), high blood pressure, a brain tumor, anxiety/stress.

I am glad to hear she had normal blood tests; that helps rule out many things. You might consider having her blood pressure checked.

Some older dogs with cognitive dysfunction improve on a prescription medication called Anipryl. There are some new diets, such as Purina Bright Mind that have helped some dogs. Anti oxidants might be helpful; there is an anti oxidant formula made for dogs called Cell Advance.

Is this at all times of the day, or worse at bedtime?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
She settles at night, it’s during the day and when she arrives in to the house having been in the garden for the afternoon

If I saw a dog with this complaint, I would do a full physical/ neurologic exam, check blood pressure, (and blood tests, but that has been done). If the blood pressure was high, I would see if lowering her blood pressure helped. If the pressure is normal, I would try the Bright Mind diet and/or Cell Advance.

Was her blood pressure checked?

What other questions can I answer?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thank you so much. We’ll head back to the vets.

You are welcome. Please let me know how she is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

Thanks for the great rating. Please do let me know how she is doing and if you have other questions.