Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

how do i stop my 4 month old J R from nipping and how 2 chill

Customer Question

how do i stop my 4 month old J R from nipping and how 2 chill him down
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,

My name is Jane. I've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your responses, it will likely take 30-40 minutes to type my response. I hope you can be patient.

While I am sure you have tried a lot of things, I really need to no specifically what you have tried so I don't suggest something that you have found didn't work. So can you tell me what things have been tried?
What toys do you have for him?
Is he neutered yet?
Has he completed all his vaccinations?
Have you started obedience training?
How long are your walks with him?
How often do you walk him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he has lots of toys had his jags walk him 3 times aday 4 15 min a time i have tryed just saying ouch loud and moven my hand he is house trand sits shuts doors clever dog plays with my other dog well and happy but i just cant chill him i tryed just putin him on the ground not looking at him i have gran kids he loves them but he just ruff with them

Jackie,
.
Thanks for the additional information. It is very helpful. Unfortunately, the site does not allow me to make clickable links to supporting websites at this time. So where there is a site listed, you may have to copy that to a separate browser window or tab to access the data there.

When a dog is chewing and nipping on people the best method is to say “NO’ make a cry of pain and most puppies will respond and stop. For those that don’t respond, you will need to redirect his nipping or biting to an appropriate object like a chew toy. If you are playing and he nips, you want to do the same and then stop playing with him. He should learn soon that if he nips, playtime is over. Some puppies learn earlier than others and most do not totally learn not to nip and chew on you until they are 4-5 months old. So he should be close to stopping since he is already 4 months old.

Another thing that you will want to do is try and teach children that may be around your puppy not to make high-pitched squeals and run. To a puppy or dog, high pitched noises mean play time and it is a natural instinct called prey drive to chase after a running object. You may want to keep a leash on your puppy at all times so you can easily give a quick tug for a correction when he is doing something that is not allowed such as nipping or chewing. You also need to remember that corrections are worthless if not done when the behavior is occurring. You can not correct a dog if you find something chewed or after he has nipped. You can only correct him when he is actually doing it.

Here are some great sites on bite inhibition.
http://www.moderndogmagazine.com/articles/puppy-socialization-and-bite-inhibition/271
http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-44.htm

Now there are some dogs that just don't seem to get the message. Dogs that are taken away from their mothers too early are deprived of the time with their siblings and other dogs which helps them learn that biting can hurt so they need to be careful. Now there is a method for stubborn biters but it should be used as a last resort. You can stop mouthing and biting hard by going the opposite direction. Instead of taking your hand out of her mouth, put it further in the mouth. DO NOT do this meanly (not that you would). Do not do it quickly or shove it in too far, just move it further in enough that it makes her uncomfortable so that she pulls her mouth away from your hand. SHe will learn that putting her mouth on your hand results in the hand going further in and possibly triggering a gag reflex which she will not find pleasant. I'v found that this methods works on the most stubborn puppies.

For nipping at the pants legs, you need to adopt an exaggerated walk with you heals coming up on the back swing. In you walk in this manner, when the dog gets too close to your feet, they will end up getting the shock of a heel coming up and possibly catching them in the jaw or chest. Since you or the person are just walking, it will surprise them. It usually only takes a few times before they stop jumping on the backs of your legs or biting them. Of course, this will also involve having all visitors do this while the dog is in training. I think you will find most people willing to help.
.
If you have someone he tries to do this to on a regular basis, this person could be elected to help with training allowing you to work with him several times a day when you know he would normally do it. Once he stops ankle biting, reward him with tasty treats and praise. For each person he doesn't do this to, reward him. He will learn that strangers mean treats and are a good thing and that should help stop the biting.

An important thing with a pup that has been taken from its mother early is socialization. Once your pup has completed his shots at around 16 weeks old, you will want to enroll him in Puppy obedience classes. Of course you can work on sit and come at home but class will be a chance for your puppy to interact with other puppies and learn from the experience. He will probably be in contact with older dogs as well and gain more dog social skills as well. You should also have him around a varied group of people so he is comfortable with all people whether they are children, adults, elderly, white, black, and green. etc. A well socialized dog is less likely to become a problem dog.

JRT's are high energy dogs, so teaching him to chase a tennis ball can help him use up some of that energy. Many walks are too slow paced to drain a high energy dog. If you can get him to chase balls, you can invest in a ball throwing machine which can keep him busy for hours. A tired dog is a happy well behaved dog.
.
The techniques I have given you to stop nipping and the obedience training should help stop his rough play with the children as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.
If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.