Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

Hi I have a 2yr 8mth male cocker who is still not clean he

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2yr 8mth male cocker who is still not clean he spends a lot of time with his master but when left at home with me all doors to garden open comes in and poos on the floor he also cratches the carpets as if to make a bed
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,

My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.

So he never has accidents when his master is home?
What sex is the master and what sex are you?
Is he neutered?
Does his master take him outside or does he voluntarily go into the garden to eliminate?
How was he originally house trained?
When home with you, does he follow you around like I'm pretty sure he does to his master?
What have you tried so far to stop the behavior?
What do you clean up after him with?
Is he destroying the carpet with the scratching?
Is it in one spot that he scratches?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't had any answers only questions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I reply to the above questions

Christine,

To reply you just type your responses like you did the above replies. I had to step out for a few hours and just returned. Simply type your responses to the questions in the box and hit reply. Here are the questions again.
What sex is the master and what sex are you? I am assuming you are female and master is male now that I know your name.
Is he neutered?
How was he originally house trained?
What do you clean up after him with?
Is it in one spot that he scratches?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

reply in order of question

No, Master male me female,No,Goes out voluntarily,on training mat but wouldn't use,Yes, Sleeps in a smaller area, Kitchen Roll,No, No,

Christine

Christine,

Thanks for the additional information, it is helpful. I suspect that the dog doesn't see you as his boss. It sounds like he may even eliminate inside on purpose to show that it is his territory and not yours. Since he does recognize his master as the boss, he doesn't do it when he is there.

There ae some things you can do. The first is to clean up after him with a good enzymatic cleaner. If you clean with normal cleaners, it just removes enough of the odor to fool our noses. A dog's nose is much more sensitive and the dog can still smell it. For a dog marking their territory, the smell fading actually encourages the dog to eliminate there again. An enzymatic cleaner breaks down the protein and removes the odor so the dog doesn't smell it any more.

The second thing that should work is for you to start some obedience training with him so he sees you as his boss as well as his master. If he already is well trained, that will make it easier for you. You should train with a nice smelly tasty treat like hot dog slices or vienna sausage slices and liver slivers. Dogs seem to love these and will eagerly work for this type treat. When a dog obeys your command even if it is for the treat, it makes them a little more submissive each time. So obedience training regularly can cause the dog to see you as his master as well and stop the behavior naturally.

The following site is helpful for teaching you how to train the dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.
http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Unfortunately, the site does not allow me to make clickable links, so to view the supporting websites, you will need to copy and paste the link into a new browser window or tab.

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

Another thing that can be done is to leash him to you when you are walking around the house. That way he is always in your sight and if he should start to lift his leg or squat, give a short tug to get his attention and a firm NO, so he knows it is unacceptable and then take him outside. In addition, when he eliminates outside, be ready with the treat to reward him for doing what is acceptable.
.
These things should take care of the problem. It is going to take a little time for him to see you as the boss as well, but by combining the methods and leashing him when home alone with him, he will be prevented from continuing the behavior. It will likely only take a few weeks before you start seeing changes.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-jane-lefler/ and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.