Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

We have a neutered XXXXX XXXXX aged 9 who is usually very

Customer Question

We have a neutered XXXXX XXXXX aged 9 who is usually very easy going, but lately has taken to nipping at anyones feet who approaches when I am preparing his meals. Once the food is down on the floor he doesn't seem to bother and you can take the bowl away when he is in the middle of eating and he just looks slightly mistified. Last week he tried to bite my 9 year old Grandaughter's foot because she came in while we were eating our meal and my guess is that the dog thought that any scraps left on the plate were his and that she might be laying claim to them. Usually he is really good with all children, and having known Hannah since she was 24 hours old they are normally inseparable. Sugestions?My wife says that this behaviour has been going on for a couple of years and that he has just got into a bad habit. As she is usually on the receiving end she would rather that the dog went!

Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,

My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Are you able to recreate the situation where he acts like this on a regular basis if necessary?
Does she nip your wife's ankles when she is fixing the food or just when you are fixing the food?
Does she nip you?
What obedience training has he had?
How much time would everyone be able to put into correcting the situation? For instance 30 minutes a day.