Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

Hi I have a three year old red nose pitbull -we rescued him

Customer Question

Hi I have a three year old red nose pitbull -we rescued him when he was about 5 months old -he had no fixed abode and different owners (kids) who fed him chips,curry and coca cola ! They would fight him with other dogs in the park . We took him in and the police tattooed him and we had him castrated etc.unfortunatly if he gets annoyed he'd try to kill one of our other dogs in the house -I have trying to separate them been bitten -so now we muzzle him when he's around them. He's a. Model dog round the rest of the family -loving,obedient and non destructive and even quite quiet really infact perfect otherwise (at home)
However outside on the harness -he's aggresive ,pulls and tries to kill other dogs (if he could) he's massive and only my husband or son can walk him now.He gets walked at night when hopefully there's no other dogs around.
A few weeks ago whilst out walking he and my son were attacked by a saffy on his own -both he and my son got bitten -Rocky was muzzled so could not defend himself .Since that day ,when my husband takes him out -Rocky growls at him and jumps up as if to bite him ,just being really aggresive,my husband takes him different ways but its the same -it's quite scary ,it's asif he wants to kill him being really aggresive -however as my husband turns to come back he walks back no problem. He gets home and lays in his basket as if he knows he's done wrong !
He needs to walk but at the moment it's impossible -please help. Maria
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
Hi Maria,

My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.

Is the dog neutered?
Has he had any obedience training at all?
Will he get into the car?
So he isn't aggressive at all, still, at home or on the way back, correct?
Are you using a basket style muzzle?
Has any special testing been done on him such as a thyroid test?