Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years

taken a rehome llasso and he is14 months old but barks aggesively

Customer Question

taken a rehome llasso and he is14 months old but barks aggesively at any dog he sees
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,

My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Can you give me more information.
It sounds like he is a male. Is he neutered?
Does he bark excessively when dogs are not there?
Is this only when on the leash?
If so, are you tense when you see an other dog approaching?
Is picking him up and comforting him all you have tried?
How long have you had him?
Have you worked with him on obedience training?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ihave only had him aweek he came fromaperson who had alarge dog and it did not get on with teddy so she got rid of teddyIhave always had dogs but not this proplem he isbeing neutord monday

For dogs that bark excessively, you can train them not to bark if they are doing it when you are present. I have a dog currently that I got from the pound that barked at everything. Here is how we trained him to not bark at everything. We left his leash on in the house attached to a chain collar. Each time our dog barked inappropriately we gave a quick tug correction to distract him, said "no bark" and had him sit. After a few corrections right in a row, he would finally stop barking for a second. When he didn't bark I'd give him a treat. By the end of a couple of weeks, he had reduced his barking significantly. We did go through a lot of treats.

We did this over the course of a month all together, giving treats for non barking and eventually phasing out the treats and using praise instead with a treat only once in a while. Now he rarely ever barks.

As crazy as this sounds you may wish to teach the pup the speak command and then the quiet command. It seems easier to teach the quiet command after the dog has learned the speak command. The following site explains teaching speak and quiet commands.

Unfortunately, the site does not allow me to make clickable links, so to view the supporting websites, you will need to copy and paste the link into a new browser window or tab.

You also have the option of getting a bark collar such as citronella spray collar, shock bark collars (I'm not sure these are available in the UK) and even shaking a can of coins that will stop excessive barking. They also have ultrasonic bark collars but they work on the principle that the noise distracts the dog and stops the barking.

These will work for excessive barking. However, if the dog is barking as part of aggression toward other dogs, that is a different matter. Dogs are aggressive toward other dogs for a variety of reasons. It might be that they are fearful of other dogs and thus are aggressive before the other dog can be. In other cases, a dog is aggressive in order to dominate the other dogs and be the alpha member of the pack. Other causes could be that the dog feels they are the alpha member of the pack and as the alpha member they must protect the pack (you) from threats (other dogs).

In addition, owners sometimes make the situation even worse by tensing up and worrying about what will happen. The dog senses the owner worry and feels that he is justified in his aggressive stance because you are obviously worried about the dog. They don't know you are worried about them attacking, they just feel that you are worried and assume it is the other dog.

You are also inadvertently encouraging the behavior by picking him up and trying to calm him. That shows him attention and to him that is a good thing, so he learns that barking gets you to pick him up and show him attention. so you need to not reassure him or pick him up unless another dog is trying to attack him.

You will need to have him obedience trained. If you can, I would do group classes and let the trainer know of the problem your dog has. It might take you a few months of basic training before he is ready for group class. Before you can get into classes, I am including a site that is helpful. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

You will also want to keep a leash on him at all times initially to grab if he should disobey. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how well your dog does with training. Dogs like knowing what is expected of them and they love the little paper thin slices of hotdogs that I use for treats while training. Give this a try and see how it works for you.

There is a newer method that some trainers are using called BAT. You can read about it here:

In addition, if the situation is not improving using the techniques I describe, you may have to consult a professional behaviorist. You can usually find a behaviorist by asking your Vet for a recommendation or you may be able to find one using the following site.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.
Just a quick follow up to see if you had a chance to try any of my suggestions. I hope you found my suggestions helpful.