Christine-cssm
Christine-cssm,
51872716

I have a Bedlington/Whippet,from a pup and good home,who is

Customer Question

I have a Bedlington/Whippet,from a pup and good home,who is now two years old.I have been to training classes and she is good,keen to learn and responsive.She lives in the house with my 5 year old whippet,sleeps in the kitchen,has no problem being left and is good in the house.She walks well on the flexi lead and we are out 2-3 hours a day.She will behave well training outside,then,suddenly rush off and is deaf to all commands,no doubt after rabbits.This didn't happen when she was younger,she doesn't go far and likes to come rushing back.I do 'come,stay and wait on the long lead during the walks everyday and she is good.I work on reward system as advised by the class.She was spayed st six months and is a great little dog.Should I just walk her on the flexi until she is older?An electric collar has been suggested but I'm not happy about this.kATE XXXXX.

Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kate,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.

What type of reward system are you using? Is it praise or treats? If treats, what type are you using?
Do you give those same treats for other purposes besides training?
What is your objection to the e-collar?
Does she have a good recall/come when small animals are not involve or are you assuming it is due to rabbits.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This has already cost £28.00 +£35.00,I do not wish to spend any more money.Don't reply if there is another charge.I only give treats for training purposes and then smallish ones.Her recall is good otherwise,I guess it's rabbits,indeed find her rabbiting when she has shot away.No objection to e-collar,have no experience of them.Could it make the dog anxious or frightened.Is she likely to grow out of this,she is still puppyish,but so was my collie at 13 and she behaved well.

Kate,

I am not involved in the financial side of the site. I do know that customers make a deposit and sometimes sign up for a subscription. When you rate my answer favorably then part of the deposit is used to compensate me for my answer.

As you know, dogs are very prey driven. Some dogs are worse then others especially ones that are energetic and her breeds are pretty energetic. Even so, you can correct even a prey driven behavior if you work on it. One of the first things is to perfect the recall/come command. I suggest getting a special treat like vienna sausages sliced paper thin or liver slivers. Use these only for the recall. Give them every single time you call her to you and she comes. Practice calling her several times an hour (reason why treats are paper thin). When she obeys you immediately every time, then add some distractions like children or cats, etc. Keep doing this until normal distractions no longer interest her when you recall her.

Then you need to borrow a rabbit from someone. Keep it crated. Have her leashed and every time she even looks at the rabbit, give her a correction. A correction is a short tug to break her concentration and a firm LOW TONED NO (growl like). It shouldn't take her too long until she pointedly ignores it. Then give her the special treat. She learns that ignoring the rabbit gets her treats.

She has already learned coming to you when recalled gets her them and now she learns that ignoring rabbits works as well. Once she consistently ignores the rabbit, then take her where you suspect there are rabbits. This is going to take multiple session with the rabbit, so expect this. If you notice her attention shifting when on your walk, recall her immediately to you and reward her. Even if you have to recall her 20 times it will reinforce the recall and ignoring the rabbit.

Now the e-collar can be a powerful training tool if used correctly. It should never be used when a dog is displaying aggression. The dog then associates the shock with the object of their aggression and it can make it worse. However, I have found it works really well for long range recalls. I start when a dog normally listens to the recall at short distances but once they are far enough away that your voice isn't as strong, then ignore you. When they don't listen the first time they are called, give the correction. Now the collars give a tone first and then shock. The dog's natural reaction is to come back to you or home since it is unexpected and they don't know where it came from.

When they return to you, you give them the reward and let them go back out again. Usually after a couple of shocks for not listening, they start coming when you call. If they are too far away to hear you effectively, you can use the tone only setting to get them back to you quickly since at that point, the tone will bring them back. It can be a very effective tool for dog and many hunters use them. So I wouldn't rule out the use of an e-collar especially if you want to allow her to be further away from you than a leash allows.
.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.
If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-jane-lefler/ and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.
Expert:  Christine-cssm replied 3 years ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at [email protected] and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.

The JustAnswer Customer Support Team.