Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I have a year and a half old blue Merle collie, male. He is

I have a year and a half old blue Merle collie, male. He is trained to wee outside but when I go to work he wees on his bed , sometimes just once but sometimes more. He is also doing it at night. We have another black and white collie at two years old and they are together and are fine. He doesn't do it. He doesn't wee when I'm in he will go to the back door to go out. Also I have tried sleeping him on my bed to see if he goes then and nothing, he went over 11 hours. So I think he is doing it because I go to work or bed and leave him. He got out of it for a couple of weeks but has started again. I have tried ignoring it and praising him when he goes outside and I have tried telling him off but I am still coming home or waking up to wee. Any help please
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.

Is he neutered?
What sex is the other dog?
Is that dog fixed?
How do you know which dog is doing it if you are not present?
Are they crated when this happens?
Does this happen every time he is alone?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, yes he is fixed and so is the other dog. I know it's not the other one because he's never done it and when I let them out he wees for a long tine whereas the other one doesnt. They are both male. Also the older one has never had this problem. They are crate trained but no they are not in a crate, too many hours left and at night only 7 sometimes. This happens when I go to bed, work and nine times out of ten when I go out
Sam,

I have to mention medical causes first even though it doesn't sound like a medical cause to me. Urinary tract infections can cause excessive urination. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem IF your dog is displaying 2 or more of the above symptoms.

So now that I've mentioned the common medical cause for inappropriate urination, let me go over the more likely cause for this behavioral issue. It sounds to me like your dog is experiencing separation anxiety. There are things you can do to help with separation anxiety. One is a Dap collar. It uses pheromones that mimic the ones produced by a nursing dog to calm their pups. This has been proven to work with dogs exeperiencing separation anxiety. It also has the advantage of not being medication and thus can be used in conjunction with medication. See one here:
vetmedicine.about.com/od/behaviortraining/gr/DAP-Dog-Collar.htm

Unfortunately, the site does not allow me to make clickable links, so to view the supporting websites, you will need to copy and paste the link into a new browser window or tab.

There are other things that you can do that tend to help with dogs experiencing this problem. First thing is to take your dog for a nice long walk before you leave, preferably 30 minutes or long. Make it a long, quick paced walk to tire your boy out. I know this won't help for when you retire for the night but might for when you are leaving.

Second is to use a low-key approach to leaving the house. Ignore your dog before you leave and after you come home for at least 5 minutes or more. If the house is hectic before leaving, put him away from everyone, say in a bathroom until the frenzy is over. You can start not making it obvious when you are leaving by picking up your keys and carrying them around when you are not leaving or putting on your coat and walking around with it on. If these triggers are taken away, then the dog won't be upset before you even leave. Also leave the house without these item from time to time to also not leave clues you are going.

Don't punish or shout at your dog when you come home and find he’s eliminate. When you do, you increase his stress level rather than reduce it. You can provide him with small stimulating toys or toys that you can fill with treats. Kongs work well, you can fill with peanut butter or yogurt and freeze it. Give it to your dog before you leave or go to bed. It tends to keep dogs busy for hours.

Sometimes leaving a TV or radio on can help a dog with this problem as well. Also remember to not reward a dog's excitement to you with petting and affection or even eye contact. You want to show him nice calm praise when he is being calm.

The best way is to crate him. This prevents most dogs from eliminating. Practice putting him in the crate, leaving the house, opening the door immediately and rewarding him with a hot dog treat if he did not urinate. This teaches him that you leave but come back quickly. Once he seems to not do anything when you initially leave, lengthen the time he must be good for you to come back in. Change the time as well. Make it 2 minutes one time and 10 mintutes another, so he never knows if you are gone for an hour or gone foe 2 minutes. It helps him stay calm for longer periods of time and not urinate, just be sure you reward him when he is good.

These should help his separation anxiety and boredom and help curb his urination. It will not be an overnight cure and will take work on your and your family’s part to be consistent in your interaction with him. Here is a site that also offers idea to combat separation anxiety.
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/overcoming-separation-anxiety.aspx

Another option is medication, which is discussed on this site:
http://www.cpvh.com/2011/08/08/separation-anxiety/

You can either bring his crate into your room so he is with you at night or take up his water 4-5 hours before bedtime to help be sure his bladder is empty before bedtime.

There is a product called a belly band that helps with this issue in a male dog. You can see these here:
http://www.heartoftexasgreyhounds.com/bellyband.htm

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.
If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-jane-lefler/ and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jane, thank you so much for your reply, just to say that I don't think he has a bladder infection because he is no drinking alot at all and he sometimes doesn't have a drink from about 8pm at night til he goes to be at between 11 and 12. I think it is the separation. I got home tonight and no wee at all! I think he is doing it when he wants to be honest. I will try and do what you at saying by not making a huge fuss when I come in or go to bed and let him out more often and make sure he doesn't drink alot near bedtime. I don't really want to crate them as they are in a room with a stairgate because I am at work for over 9 hours I would prefer to teach him rather than contain him, you know. So thank you very much. Highly recommended. Cheers sam
Sam,

I tend to also think it is likely to separation anxiety but I do have to mention medical causes.