Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

hi i have a two year old cocker spaniel and a 1 year old labradorthey

Customer Question

hi i have a two year old cocker spaniel and a 1 year old labrador
they both sleep in the kitchen at night time.
we have been coming down in the morning at 7am to find 3 poos about 4 wees all over the kitchen they get walked twice a day we have 4 acres of land and they go out to the loo at 10pm every night... do you have any advice?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,

My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.

When are they fed?
Do you walk the dogs or just let them out at 10pm?
do you have crates for them?
Can you identify if it is one or both doing it?
Are they spayed?

I was hoping to get a response to my request for more information, but also do not want you to have to wait for an answer either.

By now all the dogs should be house trained, so I do understand your frustration. You have a few options but first I would recommend getting fecal tests done on all three dogs. Parasites can cause dogs to have trouble controlling their bowels. So the fecal tests will rule that out as a cause.

The next thing I recommend is to start feeding and watering the dogs on a schedule. As long as none of them have kidney issues, you can give water at specific times of the day as well. Keep a log of when you feed and water the dogs. Additionally, track when each dog defecates and urinates. Once you have determines each dog's "schedule" of elimination, you can use that knowledge to move the feeding and watering time to one that will allow you to put the dogs out or walk them so that they have already eliminated before bedtime.

This may help with the situation. Additionally, actually taking them for a long walk right before bedtime can help ensure that they have actually gone when they go out right before bedtime.

You also need to ensure that you have used a good high quality enzymatic cleanser to clean the area so that all trace odors of the elimination. If a dog can smell where earlier accidents occurred, it will draw them back to eliminate again. Be sure to clean up if male dogs are involved as well.

You also have the option of crating them at night. Be sure the crates only allow the dog room to turn around. If it has too much room, then will designate one part of the crate as a bathroom.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.