Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

My 3 year old Cairn cross Jack Russel is a good-natured animal

Customer Question

My 3 year old Cairn cross Jack Russel is a good-natured animal who loves everyone and other dogs. The only thing wrong with him is that he barks incessantly ALL morning from getting up. He even barks when the main telephone rings and continues through my conversation. He enjoys his daily hour-long walk but even when we return he finds it difficult to settle if there is ANY outside noise (car-doors slamming) people walking past in the outside lane etc.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I've been a professional answering questions concerning dog health and behavioral issues here since 2006. I've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

I actually adopted a alaskan eskimo cross that barked at everything when we first got him. Let me tell you what worked for him and then give you a few more known techniques that work as well. We left his leash on in the house attached to a chain collar. Each time our dog barked inappropriately we gave a quick tug correction to distract him, said "no bark" and had him sit. After a few corrections right in a row, he would finally stop barking for a second. When he didn't bark I'd give him a treat. I know that you have tried this but I recommend you use special treats like vienna sausage slices or liver slivers. Dogs tend to work for these special treats a lot more than normal store bought treats. By the end of a couple of weeks, he had reduced his barking significantly. We did go through a lot of treats.

We did this over the course of a month all together, giving treats for non barking and eventually phasing out the treats and using praise instead with a treat only once in a while. Now he rarely ever barks.

Another technique that works but sounds a bit crazy is to teach the dog the speak command and then the quiet command. It seems easier to teach the quiet command after the dog has learned the speak command. The following site explains teaching speak and quiet commands.
http://www.dogskool.com/web/news/summer2002/page3.html

Unfortunately, the site does not allow me to make clickable links, so to view the supporting websites, you will need to copy and paste the link into a new browser window or tab.

You also have the option of getting a bark collar such as citronella spray collar, shock bark collars and even shaking a can of coins that will stop excessive barking. If you decide on a shock collar, I urge you to let it shock you first so you see that it is the unexpectedness of the shock rather than the intensity of the shock that stops the barking. these collars must be fitted properly to work. They work by administering a correction immediately in the event of barking more than once or twice. They first do a tone and if the dog continues to bark, they give the correction. After a little while, most owners can turn it to tone only until they no longer need the collar at all.

Timing in training is everything and rewards and reprimands need to be given at the right times to be effective.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.