Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

Its been 2 weeks today iv had my dog . I dont knw wat to do

Customer Question

Its been 2 weeks today iv had my dog . I dont knw wat to do . Shes constant barking every time I leave het at home . How long till she settles and stops when I leave her alone. Iv also got these plug in perfumes to help her calm down. Shes nearly 19 months old german shepherd
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
JaCustomer,

My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The first thing to do would be to set up a recording device to ensure that she is indeed barking the whole time you are gone. I often have customer tell me that the neighbors are saying their dogs bark the whole time they are gone, or that their dog is barking when they leave and still barking when they come home. They set up a device and realize that the dog only barks for 15 minutes or so when they leave and then hears them return and starts barking again because they are home. So see if she is indeed barking the whole time.

If she is barking the whole time, we can do some training to help with that. The adaptil (dap) diffuser has been proven to be helpful in conjunction with training to help with separation anxiety which is what your dog seems to be experiencing.

There are things that most people recommend be done such as talomg your dog for a nice long walk before you leave, preferably 30 minutes or long. Make it a long, quick paced walk to tire your girl out. A tired dog is more likely to go to sleep while you are gone.

The next is to use a low-key approach to leaving the house. Ignore your dog before you leave and after you come home for at least 5 minutes or more. If your house is like mine everyone is running around getting ready to leave. This has the dog in an excited mood and then suddenly she is alone. If this is the case, put her away from everyone, say in a bathroom until the frenzy is over.

Don't punish or shout at your dog when you come home and find she’s barked the whole time. When you do, you increase her stress level rather than reduce it. If she is in heat like you mentioned in your previous question, that already has her under some stress.

You can provide her with small stimulating toys or toys that you can fill with treats. the Kong is one that I recommend. Fill it with peanut butter or yogurt and freeze it. When you give it to her, it will keep her mouth busy for hours.

Sometimes leaving a TV or radio on can help a dog with this problem as well. Also remember to not reward a dog's excitement to you with petting and affection or even eye contact. You want to show her nice calm praise when she is being calm. So no telling her it will be ok when you leave

For training, practice putting her in the crate, leaving the house, opening the door immediately and rewarding her with a hot dog treat if she did not scratch, bite and carry one. This teaches her that you leave but come back quickly. Once she seems to not do anything when you initially leave, lengthen the time she must be quiet for you to come back in. Change the time as well. Make it 2 minutes one time and 10 mintues another, so she never knows if you are gone for an hour or gone foe 2 minutes. It helps her stay calm for longer periods of time, just be sure you reward her when she is good.

Another thing that helps is to do things that might make the dog feel you are leaving and then don't such as putting on your coat or picking up your keys. Or leave without doing those things. This helps remove things that might trigger the dog to become anxious.

These should help her separation anxiety and boredom and help curb her barking. It will not be an overnight cure and will take work on your and your family’s part to be consistent in your interaction with her. Here is a site that also offers idea to combat separation anxiety.
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/overcoming-separation-anxiety.aspx

Unfortunately, the site does not allow me to make clickable links, so to view the supporting websites, you will need to copy and paste the link into a new browser window or tab.

There are many other methods available such as citronella spray collar, and shock bark collars that will stop excessive barking. They are very effective and quick to stop excessive barking. So if it becomes a case of being asked to leave your apartment then definitely try it.

Another option is medication, which is discussed on this site:
http://www.cpvh.com/2011/08/08/separation-anxiety/

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .