Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

Please can you help. I am desperate.m I have just adopted

Please can you help. I am desperate.m I have just adopted a XXXXX XXXXX cross from a rescue centre. He is lovely and friendly but he constant barking is driving my neighbours mad when I go out and leave . He is not alone as I have another dog. I have triend the pet corrector and although is it okay for the other one the XXXXX XXXXX ignores it. I bought an anti barking collar yesterday put it on him and he went absolutely berserk, it was obviously doing something and he wasn't even barking. When I tried to get it off him because he was so distressed he unfortunately bit my hand. Obviously I must address this quickly but not sure what to do. Apart from that he is a lovable happy little dog and the last thing I want to do is give up on him. Would be so grateful for advice. Thank you.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
hi JaCustomer,

My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.

Do you still have the bark collar?
Was it a shock collar?
If so, was the intensity of the shock adjustable?
Does he tolerate any collar?
Were the contacts touching the skin?
If a shock collar, it should have come with a tester. Can you test the collar with the tester and let me know if the light lights up?
If you put the contacts against your hand are you receiving a shock?
Do this after testing it.
Is he barking all the time or only when you are home?
Have you tried anything you haven't mentioned?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I still have the collar. It has two setting high and low. There is no tester. The collar cost £20. You can set it to vibrate or make the sound. I put it on vibrate. He does have an ordinary collar which I took off first as per the instructions. It does not have a light on it when I switch it on. He sits by the front door and barks on and off when I am at home. Have now ordered a new front door which will have no glass I it. I tell him no and when he responds to that I tell him he is a good boy. When I used the pet corrector he jumped up at it and tried to get it out of my hand. Only used it occasionally so that he would not become used to it but it has no effect on him whatsoever. I don't know what else to try. Hope the above information helps. Thank you
Phyllis,

Thanks for the information. Most collars come with a small light that has two small wires coming from it. The instruction book should have included instructions on how to test the collar as well. You can put the long contacts against your skin and tap the center post and that will usually trigger a shock. But if you just put it to your skin, you should be able to tell if it was shocking him when it was not supposed to.

In addition, he may have worn a bark collar before and found that if he screeches like it is killing him, the owner will remove it and thus continues the behavior because it gets the collar off which is what he wants.

So what you might want to do is see if it is malfunctioning. If it isn't, then try putting it on him without any batteries in it to see if it is just the collar that he is reacting to. If he doesn't object, you may want to leave it on him without the batteries for a day or two so he gets used to it. You might also take it back to the store and have them fit it to your dog to ensure it is on properly.

You might take some alternative approaches as well. We adopted a dog that I swear barked at the wind. Here is what worked for us. We left his leash on in the house attached to a chain collar. Each time our dog barked inappropriately we gave a quick tug correction to distract him, said "no bark" and had him sit. After a few corrections right in a row, he would finally stop barking for a second. When he didn't bark I'd give him a treat. By the end of a couple of weeks, he had reduced his barking significantly. We did go through a lot of treats.

We did this over the course of a month all together, giving treats for non barking and eventually phasing out the treats and using praise instead with a treat only once in a while. Now he rarely ever barks. You have to use a high value treat like a hot dog slice or liver sliver. Regular treats are not as effective as these types of desirable treats.

As crazy as this sounds you may wish to teach the pup the speak command and then the quiet command. It seems easier to teach the quiet command after the dog has learned the speak command. The following site explains teaching speak and quiet commands.
http://www.dogskool.com/web/news/summer2002/page3.html

Unfortunately, the site does not allow me to make clickable links, so to view the supporting websites, you will need to copy and paste the link into a new browser window or tab.

You might also try a citronella bark collar or ultrasonic bark collar. The ultrasonic collar works much like the corrector in that it attempts to discourage the behavior by distraction. The citronella collar actually will let loose a spray of strong citronella that will be a good reprimand.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much for your advice and I certainly will try your suggestions. I don't know his history but I suppose it is possible that someone has tried using a collar., will leave it a few days before I try putting it on him with the batteries out. Thanks for your quick response. I am very grateful. Phyllis
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the advice given to me last week. I have now found that a bottle with water and a splash of lemon is proving quite effective and the barking has been greatly reduced. I am also teaching him to sit and stay she people leave the house which again has reduced the barking. I will try his collar in a couple of weeks. Once again thank you for your help. It is much appreciated.
Phyllis,

Thanks for the update. I do appreciate it.