Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

Hello I have a five month old female staff,I leave her at night

Customer Question

Hello I have a five month old female staff,I leave her at night in my kitchen she isn't caged and is left with lots of toys,for the past month when I've been going into her she has been playing with her feces not a little but to the point where its scattered all over the kitchen and taken back to her bed where she lies in it,please help I'm at the end of my tether I have a young family and can't allow her near them as concerned she will make them I'll.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,

My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.

So your female is not house trained correct?
Is this defecation inside normal behavior for her?
What types of toys does she have?
Is she ingesting any of the fecal matter?
do you have a crate for her?
Does she let you know when she has to eliminate during the day?
When is the last time she is let out or walked?
Do you walk her daily?
When is her last meal?
Is she only defecating inside or is she urinating as well?
Has she had any obedience training or house training?
If so what kind has she had?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi jane ive tried puppy pads with belle but she didnt really get them i persevered for a couple of months but she would just rip the pads to pieces.she is urinating in kitchen as well.when im not at work she has open access to our huge garden and she is walked daily but never does her buisness on walks.the toys she has are balls with bells in and mainly teething toys.im not sure if shes eating her feces but i dont think so she is fed twice daily depending on my work hours ive tried to change her feed to me being in house to let her out after feeds rather than feed her and leave her for work .i work for five hours during day mon tues and wed and sunday then i do a two till ten on saturdays but my daughter is home to see to her on saturdays i dont work during the evening so she has company every evening.

Hi Dawn,

.

The first thing is that we need to get her house trained. At 5 months of age, she should be capable of holding her bowels and bladder for 5 hours without a problem. So lets work on that. The first thing is to scrub down the kitchen with a good enzymatic pet odor remover. Keep an extra bottle for use on any accidents she has. I'm assuming the kitchen is not carpeted, but still let it have a little time to soak into cracks or pores before cleaning back up. These cleaners break down the protein to totally remove the smell. Other cleaners are meant to fool our noses and don't get rid of enough odor to fool a dog's nose. If they can smell it, they will eliminate there again.

.

Feed a small meal in the morning and a larger meal when you get home in the afternoon. That will give her a lot of time to eliminate while you are up. Keep a log of when you feed and when she eliminates. You can also give water on a schedule as well. Keep track of how long after that she urinates and deficates. Most dogs have a pattern such as an hour after drinking they have to urinate or 3 hours after eating, they defecate. some dogs seem to have to have a 30 minute walk in order to defecate. Each dog is different but if you track their feeding and elimination, there usually is a pattern that can help you housetrain. Once you see that pattern you can arrange to have her outside when she would need to eliminate.

.

I have to recommend crate training without a bed inside the crate. I know she is bringing her fecal matter into her bed now, but most dogs do not want to eliminate where they sleep and eat. So the second part would be feeding her in her crate. You can let her out once she is done eating. Then when you can not watch her closely to let her out, she should be crated. Most dogs might urinate once or twice but once she has to lay in it for hours, they learn quickly not to do so. You can always do a quick bath on the first couple of days to clean her off.

.

I'm going to give you a site on crate training that is very good but also describe the process to you. During crate training, you will be having your dog confined either in a crate or confined to a very small area which optimally will only allow the dog room to lay down in. Dogs will generally not soil an area where they sleep.

When you feed or give your dog water, take the dog immediately outside to go to the bathroom. Also take the dog out first thing in the morning, last thing at night and after extended play times and when they wake up after a nap. Take your dog to an area where you want your dog to go and preferably one that has been used previously. Allow your dog approximately 10-15 minutes to go to the bathroom. If your dog doesn't produce, take your dog inside and cage them again. If your dog does produce results allow her some uncrated time as a reward before crating or containing the dog again.

If your dog didn't go to the bathroom, take your dog out again about 30 minutes later and repeat this until your dog goes. Praise your dog profusely when your dog succeeds and is on the leash. You can even give hot dog slices or liver slivers to reward her. This will teach your dog that it needs to go when you take your dog out and not play around first.

Some dogs learn quicker than others do, but once you have your dog going when it is on the leash and each time you take your dog out, you should be able to stop containing your dog. It is a lot of work, but pays off in the long run. Remember no playing or praise until your dog succeeds in going outside on a leash.

The key is no time outside of the crate unless you can have your eye on them constantly to pick them up and take them out if you see the classic sign of impending bowel movement or urination. Also, scolding a dog for going in the house does no good unless you catch them in the act. If you do catch them, a firm NO and trip outside should be done. Here is a site with more information on crate training.

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

.

In addition, put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that she needs to go out. A clear indicator can be a real plus.

.

Dogs will frequently roll in fecal matter as part of an instinct to cover their scent. In her case, it is likely that she is bored. A dog can have a hundred toys and if it is the same toys day after day, they get bored. It is better to break the toys into two groups and put one group away rotating them every week to keep her interested in the toys. Kongs with treat compartments can be good. You can fill them with peanut butter or yogurt and freeze it. Give at bedtime to keep her occupied and give her something that taste better than feces to gnaw and chew on. You might fill with peanut butter one week and yogurt the next to keep it "new".

.

If you don't have a crate, you can pen off an area that just gives her enough room to lay down. When they have extra room, they tend to designate one area as a bathroom. So keep the area very small. I think these tips should help get her house trained and stop the playing and rolling in fecal matter.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanku jane will try all those things.you have been very helpful.many thanks .

Dawn,
.
You are very welcome.