Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years

Hello Jane,I hope that you are well.I wonder if you could

Hello Jane, I hope that you are well. I wonder if you could please help us with Monty our Manchester Terrier. He is 9 months, we have had him since 4 months. He has not been house trained prior to coming to us, despite coming from an official breeder. We have trained him and he will ask to go out during the day. He has a lunchtime walk and usually a late evening walk. He does 'both' businesses during both walks. Overnight, he was settling and had a handful of 'dry' nights a couple of months ago however he seems to be getting worse and worse, he deposits 2 or 3 soilings and 2 wees. Sometimes these will be on puppy pads but he is also just as likely to use the floor or sofa. It seems as though he is punishing us for leaving him downstairs on his own. Last night, he was let out twice just before bed but as my Husband put the gate up at the door, he squatted immediately. Help, what are we doing wrong!! Thank you very much, Melissa PS we have also tried varying feed times, reducing to one meal a day and crate training.

Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,

My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.

Can you explain what crate training method you are using?
Are you containing him in his crate at night or is he allowed to roam the house?
Or is he eliminating on the sofa and other places while you are awake?
have you done any obedience training with him?
Is he fine all day long and when you are downstairs with him?
Have you caught him in the act?
If so, is he squatting or lifting his leg or does it just seem to happen?
Has he been dewormed lately?
What are you using to clean up after him with and how are you cleaning?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jane

We tried crate training when we first had him but he messed in the crate and spread it round the bars every night.

He is not contained in a crate overnight. He has the lounge to himself, a comfortable bed by a warm radiator and blankets. The lounge door is closed and there is a child gate in place.

Yes, he has passed his basic training and is quite quick to learn. He will sit, wait, leave etc

Hehas been fine all day long , when we are in and when we are out until very recently. Over the last week or so he has started to mess if he is left on his own ( never for more than 3 hours) and even once when I was in the kitchen.

Yes, we have caught him in the act squatting

No, he has not been dewormed lately

He has also had bad wind although this seems to happen with any food that is not raw

The floor is immediately cleaned with Dettol wipes. I also mop the floow once a day with weeaway and wooden floor cleaner. The sofa covers are also sprayed with wee away...

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. First I want to discuss cleaning. You should always use an enzymatic cleaner and allow it time to soak in and reach any fluid from the elimination. Enzymatic cleaners break down the protein and remove the smell immediately. If it isn't allowed to soak in to reach all the fluid of the urine or fecal matter, that odor however slight will draw the dog back to the place to eliminate over and over again. So be sure you are using an enzymatic cleaner and letting it soak in. Remember that males urinate up, so you need to clean those surfaces as well.

I also advise create training again. The crate should be just large enough for him to stand up, turn around and lay down. There should not be any extra room. They make barriers to cut down the size of a crate for training purposes. This will force a dog to sit in their own waste if they have an accident. Dogs do not like this so it teaches them to not eliminate in the crate. I know it is a pain to clean the dog and crate, but usually it only takes a dog a few times of having to sit in their own urine for them to stop eliminating in the crate and learn to control their bowels and bladder.

The following site goes over crate training in detail.

Unfortunately, the site does not allow me to make clickable links, so to view the supporting websites, you will need to copy and paste the link into a new browser window or tab.

I also suggest a fecal check and urinalyses be done to rule out parasites and a urinary tract infection since both conditions can cause a dog to have problems with house training. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem if your dog is displaying 2 or more of the above symptoms..

You might try deworming him first and see if that helps. Another thing you might try is a dap collar. They use pheromones similar to the ones that nursing moms use to calm their pups. They are effective to help calm dogs that are anxious so if your dog is experiencing separation anxiety and eliminating as a result, it should help a bit. If this is the cause, you might try moving the crate into your room after a good cleaning and allowing him to be in the room with you but contained.

It may be a combination of parasites, separation anxiety and house training issue which might take using all these approaches in combination to correct the situation. Give these a try and see how things work out.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years