Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years

My dog is very lovable but so unruely, he is an 18 month collie.

My dog is very lovable but so unruely, he is an 18 month collie. He listens to no one he licks every thing all day and wont stop he eben licks us and wont stop to the point where he forces himself on you and chews your hand and will sometimes growl and show his teeth. I tjink there is something wrong with him he trys to get to anyone over next door growling snarling he tried to go though the fence. He never listens but is very clever, he can only focus on one thing and ignores everytjing else...his behaviors are getting worse he keeps hurting my cat an our other dog. He wees on everything and obsesses over things an wont stay still....I am more worried about the aggressive side but he acts so weird...I love him but am very worried.... when he licks yhe wall or eats stones he wont acknowledge you at all...please help
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,

My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.

Has he had his hearing checked?
Has anyone done obedience training with this dog?
When was he neutered?
Did the vet run bloodwork on him?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No hearing block training an 2 months neutered

Thanks for that information. To me it sounds like you have a dog that has never had any training. As a result, the dog believes it can do what ever it wants to and since he has teeth and can intimidate people, he is in charge.

However, aggression can also be caused by medical factors as well including pain and discomfort. Excessive licking can be a sign of a medical issue as well such as seizure, stomach upset and liver issues. Nausea can be caused by a dietary indiscretion, liver disease, a touch of pancreatitis or even inflammatory bowel disease. If this was a new behavior, I would try some pepcid. You might still give it a try and see if it helps with the licking portion of the problem. Read about dosages and usage information here:

A dental issue can cause a dog to lick excessively as well though you usually see drooling with dental issues. Partial seizure activity can manifest as licking. However, in some cases, licking is just an attention getting behavior or a way of dealing with anxiety. Some dog also have obsessive compulsive disorder.

Even a well trained obedient dog will often challenge their owner at around 18 months just to test their leadership. For a dog that hasn't had any real leadership, they will just do what they want when they want. Some owner's will even say their dog is well behaved, but it is only because they want to be.

I think the majority of the problems you are seeing can be controlled with extensive obedience training and some behavior modification. A group class would be best but before you get that set up, you should start on obedience training using tasty treats to convince him to start obeying your commands. I use vienna sausage slivers or raw chicXXXXX XXXXXver slivers. Dogs really like these. Keeping the treat in your closed hand can let him know it is there but he has to do the trick to have you open the hand so he can take it off your palm. I do not recommend holding it in your fingers as he may nip to get it.

The following site is helpful for teaching you how to train your dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

Keep a leash attached to him and use it to give a short tug and a firm "NO" when he does something that is unacceptable. The tug is to get his attention and the NO is the reprimand. It should be low in tone and firm.

You should focus on basic obedience as well as the leave it command. That will help him learn to leave objects like rocks alone on command. Here is a site that will help you teach him that command.

Also concentrate on the recall or come command. Practice having him come to you during the day for no reason and then reward him with a tasty treat. Then give a release command so he knows it is ok to go. I usually use a work like GO and a sweeping arm motion so they learn the word and arm signal mean the same thing which is you no longer have to be here. Use the release for all commands where you expect them to stay until you release such as the sit command.

For the urination, you should do crate training with him. If he objects to crating, start putting his food in there until he is comfortable going it to eat then start shutting the door but only for as long as he is eating. After he is used to going in, you can start house training with the crate.

This is how I house train all my dogs. In addition, put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that she needs to go out.

Unfortunately, the site does not allow me to make clickable links, so to view the supporting websites, you will need to copy and paste the link into a new browser window or tab.

Be sure to clean any area the dog has urinated with a high quality enzymatic cleaner and let it soak in as long as the urine did to reach all the odor. Any other cleaner or not doing it correctly leaves a little odor which the dog's great sense of smell can detect and it will draw him back to that space again to eliminate.

You can use the same reprimand to control him barking excessively at the neighbor and for ingestion of rocks. It is a two step process. First a reprimand so he knows it is no longer acceptable and then a treat when he DOES NOT bark or eat a rock when he normally would. It rewards the desired behavior which gets him wanting to do the right thing for the treats. Once he is much better behaved, you can substitute more praise and less treats.

This breed needs lots of exercise and is a herding breed, so long brisk walks or long play time with a suitable playmate of similar age would be a good idea to help get out some of his excess energy.
In addition, if the situation is not improving using the techniques I describe, you may have to consult a professional behaviorist. You can usually find a behaviorist by asking your Vet for a recommendation or you may be able to find one using the following site.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years