Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

My border collie has always beena submissive dog but she loved

My border collie has always beena submissive dog but she loved her walks and chasing after the ball. Since being back from holiday where she was in the kennels for a week, she wont run after the ball and hangs back way behind me sometimes freezing on the spot and I have to go back and get her where she goes very submissive. any ideas?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,

My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.

Did they exercise her when you were gone at the kennel?
If so, do you know what type of exercise they provided?
i.e. walks, free time with other dogs, running, etc?
Is she limping, arching her back, having problems with stairs or jumping?
What reputation does the kennel have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi no walking just free running with the other dogs. Its a good kennels and shes stayed there before and been fine, however she did come home with a hot spot and i had to take her to the vets for treatment. She is walking fine. Back seems fine and will go up stairs ok. Louise

Louise,
.
It certainly sounds like she might have a physical reason for not wanting to run and play. However, since she was not in your possession for a weak, you can not rule out a possible unpleasant experience with either another dog or a staff member at the kennel.
.
If it is behavioral in nature, your best bet would be to take your time and do some other activity like a slow walk keeping to her pace so she understands that you will be right there with you and protect her. Often a dog that has been attacked by another will stop venturing too far from its owner. In addition, if the kennel played ball with her and she was attacked by another dog, it will take her some time before she is willing to risk chasing the ball again.

We don't know what happened there but perhaps you could start with some short distance retrievals first or even start in the house. She should recover, but you will just have to take it slow with her.

I do think that you need to check her over thoroughly. Check her paws, between her pads and up her legs. Check the range of motion for her legs and for any obvious sore spots. If you find anything, then obviously she will need to get seen for what you find. If you don't find anything obvious, there might still be a soft tissue injury making her not want to run around.

If you suspect she might have a sore muscle or strained muscle, you might keep her inactive as possible for a few days. Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours for inflammation and pain. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

Unfortunately, the site does not allow me to make clickable links, so to view the supporting websites, you will need to copy and paste the link into a new browser window or tab.

With the only symptoms being her not wanting to chase her ball and play like normal and not knowing what might have occurred at the kennel, this is about all you can do right now.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .