Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

We have a twelve month old bichon female puppy, we have only

We have a twelve month old bichon female puppy, we have only had her for 2 months. Her previous owner gave her up because she kept defacating in the house. We seemed to train her to do it outside. However the last few days she has receeded. She is again doing it indoors. The vet has given her new food so that it is more easily digested. It is mostly evenings and night that she does it. She does not seem to be able to go a full night through. As soon as we get up, the first thing we do is let her into the garden. What can we do?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
JaCustomer,

My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.

Is she fixed?
How long was she NOT defecating inside?
What signal does she use to let you know she needs to go out?
Is someone home during the day?
Is she crated?
When is she fed each day?
Has she had her 1 year vaccination?
When was she last dewormed?
Is the stool diarrhea, loose or formed stools
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Maisie is due to be spayed tomorrow, she gives no signal that she wants to go out. I put her out on a regular basis. Also she is walked twice a day. She usually defacates on the morning walk but not the evening walk.

Someone is home most of the time. She is rarely left alone.

She is no longer crated. When I took her over she had been crated most of her young life.

I now feed her two small meals a day on advise from the vet, she is now on a sensitive dog food.

She was last dewormed two days ago, she has been regularly wormed.

Her stools are sometimes diarrhea, mostly well formed.

Mavis

Mavis,

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. If your dog has a sensitive stomach or food allergy, that might make it more difficult for her to control her bowels. Switching to the special diet might help in that respect as will being sure she does not have parasites.

There are other things you can do as well to help with the situation. One is to make sure you are cleaning up with a good enzymatic pet odor remover. Other cleaners do not totally remove the odor and only fool our noses. If a dog can detect the odor of old fecal matter or urine, it will draw them back to the same area to eliminate the next time. Be sure to leave the cleaner on the area for as long or a little longer than it was on the floor so it reaches all the odor.

The next thing that will be helpful is teaching her a clear signal that will let the humans know she has to eliminate. This way if she does have loose bowels, she can signal that she needs to eliminate. Put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that she needs to go out. Everyone will have to immediately let her out when she rings the bell for it to be effective.

Another suggestion would be to start feeding and watering her on a schedule. Keep a log of when you feed her and give her water. Also keep a log of when he defecates or urinates. Soon you will see a pattern develop as to how long after eating or drinking he eliminates. You have already noticed that she tends to defecate in the morning. This will allow you to either be sure she is outside when she needs to eliminate or move her meal time so the time she would need to eliminate is more convenient for you.

I do understand that you feel she spent enough time in a crate when she was younger, but crate training is one of the most effective training methods, so I want to give you a site that goes over crate training. When you crate train correctly, your dog is rewarded for eliminating outside with non crated time. Of course, you have to watch them closely when they are not crated. Often attaching a leash to your belt loop and the dog helps keep the dog close so you can easily monitor their movements and prevent accidents.

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

Another unconventional solution would be to create an area inside with "grass for those times she can not hold it. You take a large pan like a kitty litter pan or even a baby swimming pool. You create a platform frame with wire on top. Place newspaper or other absorbent material such as wood shavings under the platform and place sod on top of the wire frame. Since it is grass, your dog will go on it. You can remove solids and can spray the urine so it moves through and down into the absorbent material underneath. This lets you use the same piece of sod for a while before needing to replace it. You do need to replace the material under the platform. This allows the dog to have a place inside but still keep the idea that eliminating on grass is where she is supposed to go.

I do believe these suggestions will help you with her house training along with the change in diet and deworming. I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years