Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I have just come home after abdominal hysterectomy and my Hungarian

I have just come home after abdominal hysterectomy and my Hungarian Vizsla is keeping away from me and we normally have a very close relationship.( she is sleeping with a pair of my used socks!) Is this normal and what should I do?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,

My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Dogs often identify people not only by sight but by scent. Coming out of the hospital, it is likely that you still have a little of the smells from the hospital such as the aneseptics, etc. So the starnge odors that your dog smells on you might be making her anxious around you and thus keeping her distance. In addition, dogs can also sense that you are not at 100%. In a pack situation, an ill dog often takes themselves away from pack members. Since you have been ill, your dog may also be keeping her distance especially since you were away for a little while.

When you couple that with a chance of voice as well, you can see how your dog might be a bit uneasy. Her beloved master doesn't quite smell or sound like she should. The best thing you can do is to give her time. I would also try to remove the hospital odors if possible. If you are able to shower, using your own soap and shampoo and wearing clothes that were washed in your normal detergents might help lessen the time it takes her to overcome than uneasiness.

You might also try feeding her close to you and giving her some small tasty treats like vienna sausage slivers or liver slivers to let her know you are still the giver of good tasty things. It shouldn't take her too long to get comfortable around you and by the time you can move around more normally, she should be over this uneasiness.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
None just many thanks