Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

We have a 15 year old Tibetan Spaniel bitch. She is going

Customer Question

We have a 15 year old Tibetan Spaniel bitch. She is going blind with cataracts and hearing is a bit uncertain. She has always been afraid of other dogs and terrified of vets surgeries. At puppy classes she his under a chair and swore at other puppies. However she has been friendly to people and reasonably obedient. Now she has decided she is old and needen't do anything she does not want to.

Immediate problems now are:- Will not be groomed (never a problem in past). Apart from a quick comb of one bit of body any further attempt and she will bite me. We now have the vet she knows come to her at home to avoid stress but last time she bit him, breaking skin. I dare not pick her up. She must wear a harness in the car (and be lifted into it) but refuses to accept it - ready to bite me. It is essential we overcome this or we cannot go on holiday or go anywhere when distance means she must come with us. She does accept a collar and lead - if she wants to go out but after 300 yards he poor sight and fear causes her to turn and drag me home - only then to tear around the garden at 50 mph!

Please help we cannot continue like this. I am 84 and my sister (we live together) is 80 and is having chemo for Myeloma.

Valerie Bailey
Saxlingham Nethergate
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
.
Does she allow you to pet her still?
Can you tell if she still is able to smell? One way to know is to drag a hot dog or vienna sausage along the ground or even a piece of beef (raw preferably) and see if she follows the trail.
Does she still have some sight?
Does she react to loud noises?
Does she have any other health issues?