Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

Hi my daughter came & stayed with me for a couple of days,

Hi my daughter came & stayed with me for a couple of days, she is 5months pregnant, my dog Suzi didn't leave her side, Suzi has been fine up until she came, then all of a sudden is yelping for what seems no reason like she is in pain, I no she isn't has I have checked her all over, she has been spade.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
.
Has suzi been jumping up on the furniture or beds more than normal?
Can you tell me what is happening around her when she does this or what she is doing?
For instance, is she turning around, sitting down, scooting on the floor, etc?
Has she been fed any unsual treats like bacon, ham, friend chicken, oily or greasy foods?
Has she had any pigs ears, bones, rawhides, etc?
Is she limping or putting her rear in the air?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's just it she is just the same Suzi apart from looking sorry for herself, she has not had anything out the ordinary, she has only been like it since my daughter came & like I said she is 5 months pregnant.

Suzi was a dog we rescued when 2 druggies had her & they sold her pups at 4 weeks old & we wonderd if it could be anything to do with that & daughter being pregnant ?

Hi Sylvie,
.
Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. Dogs are not like humans. Around 3-4 weeks of age, a dog weans their pups and pretty much at that point, they start losing interest in them. They don't usually care if they are sold or disappear at that point. So I doubt that your dog is associating your daughter's pregnancy with her own at all.

Now she probably does sense something different about your daughter and might even know that she is pregnant. However, I still don't think that has a direct relationship to what your dog is doing.

Dogs yelp for several reasons but usually as a result of pain or as an attention getting behavior. I asked about unusual treats as they can lead to pancreatitis or abdominal pain causing yelping for no apparent reason. Usually though there will be other symptoms along with these such as loss of appetite, vomiting or diarrhea.

If your dog twisted wrong or slipped she might also have injured a disc in the back which might also cause yelping for no apparent reason. Like humans, your dog might move around relatively normal until she moved a certain way and then it might hurt causing her to yelp. Since this is a possibility, I'll give you a site on disc issues.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx
http://petsurgery.com/discospondylitis.html

The other possibility is that your dog is used to getting your attention and now that your daughter has moved back in, you are paying more attention to her especially since she is pregnant. She has figured out that when she yelps you pay attention to her, so she may be using the yelping as a way of getting your attention.

Other causes would be anal gland issues causing pain which you would probably see scooting by her. I should also mention that dogs with disc issues frequently will not want to jump and sometimes avoid stairs as well.

If she was my dog, I'd probably go ahead and check her anal glands and monitor her to see if she is moving normally such as jumping up and using stairs. If she is, then I would see if showing her more attention helped reduce the yelping. If she isn't moving normally or giving her more attention doesn't help stop the behavior, then I would have her seen by your vet to ensure there isn't a condition present causing her pain.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .