Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

We have two huskies the boy is coming up 4 and the girl is

Customer Question

We have two huskies the boy is coming up 4 and the girl is 7 months and she is the problem she goes to sleep fine but she wakes the whole house up at any time from 3am onwards winging and barking we put her out to see if she needs to wee or poo but all she wants to do is be inside and play but we try and get her to settle down but she messes about for a few hours what can we do?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
Is your female spayed?
If not, Is there any swelling of the vulva?
When are her meal times?
Does she have water down all the time?
Do you walk her?
If so when is the last walk?

What toys does she have available?

The answers to these questions will help me give you the best answer suited specifically to your exact situation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I know what your going to say and that is she might be coming into season, well she's has been doing this since she younger she has got worse over the last month or so, she hasn't being spayed and her bits have changed and she has a fishy smell about her. We feed her 8-9 In the morning 12-1 afternoon and 5-6 tea time. She has fresh water all day and during the night, she gets walked with the other dog 1 hour in the morning 15 mins walh after her dinner 15 mins after her tea and 1 hour befor bed her last walk is at 10 till 11pm then we put her out for her last loo trip and she comes in and goes to sleep and we go to bed, she has a few toys to play with in the night balls chew toys cuddly toys, we separate the dogs at night otherwise she wakes him up and he just wants to sleep.
JaCustomer,
.
Thanks for the additional information. It is possible that she is coming in heat and that is contributing to the situation. However, it isn't the whole reason, I don't think.

Puppies need a lot of sleep and by around 6 months or so, they do not need as much sleep as they used to need. Thus they are active more. She is still a puppy (more like a teenager) so she doesn't yet have the adult sleep patterns either. I think that it is likely she just isn't getting enough exercise and play time during the day and she might be sleeping too much during the day.

You are taking her for a lot of walks which is good, but I want you to change the way you are walking her. This might require a different walk from the male especially the one at bed time. I want the walk to be a fast paced walk with a destination in mind. Once you reach the area, then give her some time to investigate, sniff and eliminate if necessary. Then a fast paced walk back home. Make it an hour long like you have but since it is a faster paced walk, you may need to cover more distance. You can also get her a back pack and fill it with cans or bottled water. This will also help tire her out at bedtime.

If she does not have any kidney issues, then go ahead and take the water up at around 6pm to give her lots of time to urinate before bedtime thus she isn't woken up needing to urinate. The other thing I would suggest is moving the meal times. I would keep the morning feeding time, perhaps do one around 4pm and then a small mean right before bedtime. Not a full meal, just a small one. This will put some food in her stomach so she doesn't have any excess bile giving her some problems and waking her up. Dogs sleep better if they have eaten a small meal before bedtime.

I'm also going to suggest rotating the toys. Dogs get bored if all the toys are down all the time. I'd also get a kong toy with treat compartment. Put peanut butter or yogurt into it and freeze it. Give to her at bedtime. She will either lick and chew it for an hour or so thus have her going to sleep later and sleeping longer, or give her something to do if she wakes up in the night rather than disturb the household.

You might also crate her at night to keep him in one place. I would still follow my other suggestion if you crate her, but that may immediately stop everyone from being woke up.

She has now learned that she can wake you all up in the middle of the night and get some attention, so as much as possible, you need to ignore the behavior. Hopefully the techniques I've supplied should help keep her sleeping longer. Added exercise during the day will also help. If you notice her sleeping during the day, call her to you so she isn't sleeping the day away and up at night. Most adult dogs nap but are still aware of what is going on. At your females age, they still tend to fall into a deep sleep which can lead to restless nights. So waking her during the day can help her maintain a deep sleep during the night hours.
.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .