Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

Ive got a two an half year old XXXXX XXXXX cross he was neutere

I've got a two an half year old XXXXX XXXXX cross he was neutered as a puppy. And has recently started humping his fleece lined bed, is there any suggestions as to why his doing this?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
There are various reasons why a dog might hump his bedding. Often dogs will hump a particular item to show they own the item. This often starts when another animal is added to a home, but it doesn't have to be triggered by a new animal. they can just decide to start the claiming behavior.

Another cause can be a condition that causes the penis to be itchy. This might be related to a urinary tract infection or even an infection of the prepuce (outer penile covering).

Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem if your dog is displaying 2 or more of the above symptoms..

Both an infection in the area and a urinary tract infection will require a vet visit and most likely a medication would be prescribed. I know you were probably hoping to avoid a vet visit but if we can't get him to stop then it is unlikely behavioral.

What you will do is leash him and when he starts the behavior, give him a short tug to break his concentration and a firm low toned "NO". It shouldn't take too long before he looks at the bed and doesn't hump. When he doesn't hump, be sure to reward him with calm praise and a tasty treat like hot dog slices. This behavior modification is really effective in most cases.

I did forget to mention that if a dog was neutered after reaching sexual maturity or later than say 5 months, the scent of a female in heat might trigger the humping behavior as well. In that case, it would subside in a couple of weeks when the female goes out of heat.
.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.