Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

Can spaying affect a dogs behaviour? My gentleWell behaved

Can spaying affect a dogs behaviour? My gentle
Well behaved rescue GSD was a pleasure
But has now started chewing everything
In sight!
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
.
How old is your GSD?
Was she in heat when she was spayed?
Was she prescribed antibiotics after the spay surgery?
How long has it been since she was spayed?
What kind of things is she chewing?
Is she ingesting them or just chewing?
What have you tried to stop the behavior?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi she wasn't in season when she was spayed. She is approx 20 months old & yes she was given antibiotic. She never ingests what she chews (I also thought it may be something lacking in her diet). She was spayed 11 days ago and it started on about the 4/ 5 day after.
She has been a lot better in the last day since she has been allowed off the leash so maybe it was through boredom / too much energy.
She never chewed whilst we were out of the house, only during the 'mad' 40 minutes at the same time every evening.
When she went to chew, we took off her whatever it was and gave her one of her toys.
She seems better now but I would still welcome your opinion.
Lisé
Lise,
.
Thanks for the additional information. Often antibiotics kill off good bacteria in the stomach as well as bad bacteria that can cause infection. When the good bacteria is destroyed, a dog's food does not digest as easily as before and it can lead to stomach upset. Dogs often will chew and even ingest things in an attempt to calm an upset stomach. For this try adding a probiotic or yogurt to her food for a couple of weeks and see if that doesn't help the situation.

The other reason dogs often chew things is if they have a tooth ache, so you might want to examine her mouth looking for broken teeth, red gums any swollen places or black and discolored teeth. Like us when they have a sore place, they tend to worry it which for them is chewing on things If you find anything, you will need to have her seen by your vet.

It may have been that there was a little irritation from the surgery and initially she focused on the surgical site but once that eased, she focused on the mouth. I am glad she seems better now, but it would still be a good idea to try my suggestions.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years