Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

my jack russel barks and jumps up everytime my family leave

my jack russel barks and jumps up everytime my family leave to go home, also when I want to go out he does the same thing. it is bordering on aggression. I love him dearly and he has two off lead walks in the woods every day and always comes back even after chasing a squirrell. he is 22 months old
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
.
Do you mean he jumps up on people's legs?
Is he nipping at them ?
Or is it barking aggressively?
Has he had any obedience training?
Is physically restraining him or containing him, the only thing you have tried?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he barks aggressively and if I restrain him he almost screams.

he went to puppy training but I really didn't want him to be perfect.so stopped going. he was fine up until about three months ago. he is very domineering.

Pam,

.

Obedience training serves many purposes and not just obedience. It stops dominance and often helps with fear aggression. Training keeps you as the leader/boss. As boss, YOU make the decisions on who is there and if they can come and go or not. It sounds like he doesn't want people to go and this is trying to reprimand them/you when you want to leave.

So you will want to start back up obedience training. Males typically fully mature around 18 months and frequently start taking over from an owner if they haven't had ongoing obedience. So start that back up. The following site is helpful for teaching you how to train your dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

.

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

Teach sit, down and come. You need a release command so you can have him sit until you give the release command. I use the word "GO". If you train him to sit and wait for the other command, then you can have him sit while people leave and reward her when she obeys the sit and again when she waits for the release command.

When first teaching him to sit at the door when visitors leave, you can slip the leash under your foot, have him sit and use the leash to keep him in that spot in a sit or down position as you open the door. Initially he will fight it, but soon will realize it doesn't do any good to try and move away and will stay. When he does that reward him. Have visitors reward him as well. Use special treats like hot dog (vienna sausage) slices or liver slivers.

.

You can also teach your dog the quiet command. It seems easier to teach the quiet command after the dog has learned the speak command. The following site explains teaching speak and quiet commands.

http://www.dogskool.com/web/news/summer2002/page3.html

You also have the option of getting a bark collar such as citronella spray collar, shock bark collars that will stop excessive barking.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have