Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

Help we have a bernise mountain dog and we have an electric

Help we have a bernise mountain dog and we have an electric coller on him around our property as we have a shared drive but if anyone comes onto our property friend of foe Moose goes for them and won't come at command.what can we do and who do you suggest we try and use
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
.
How old is Moose?
Is Moose neutered?
What type of electic fence is he in? i.e. instant fence, wired under ground.
What does he do when he "goes for them"?
Does he listen the first time every time when there are no visitor or when he is inside with them?
What breed is he?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Moose is nearly 18 months born in Feb of last year.
Yes he is neutered.
It is wired under the fence
He nips them on the bum and draws blood.
Lies down as if praying and barking profusely and won't listen to a word we say.
Does a sort of dance backwards on all fours
Not sure of this question.
When they come inside he is as happy as Larry and basically ignores them as if he knows that we are safe we have let them into our house and he relaxes.Its the greeting the postman ,the delivery people any friends who walk up the drive and we don't know are coming.If by car we can keep him indoors till them come in or drop off.He can be very fierce on the outset but we know he would never hurt people he knows and that's scary we don't know what he would do if he didn't know them and they came onto the property uninvited .
He is a Bernise mountain dog.
Why will he not come on command when we are with him outside and. Someone comes to the door.Do we need to get a trainer to come to
the house as he's fine on walks and loves other dogs and they seem to like him and we have no scary behaviour.Its just protecting his house on the outside.

Heather,

.

.

The first thing to do is get Moose obedience trained better. He needs to listen to you the first time, every time. You don't necessarily need formal classes. You can train him yourself and that actually is more beneficial since it does establish you as the leader and boss of the dog. The following site is helpful for teaching you how to train your dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

Additionally, you need to get a strong recall (come) down. Many dogs don't come when called because they have learned that the only time they are called is when fun time is over. People call their dogs to them to make them come inside or to stop chasing prey (cats) or to be put on leash (end of free running time) or even crated. The only association they have with the come command is negative.

.

Additionally, dogs find chase to be a highly amusing game and have learned that if they get close to a human, the human might chase them. They love a good game. So what you need to do is make coming to you more pleasurable.

.

The easiest way is to reward your dog with small tiny treats and praise whenever your dog comes to you when you give the command. Do this even when the dog wants to come to you. After a few treats, the dog will associate coming to you with getting treats and praise. Outside, you will want to use a long lead. Do not drag your dog to you, but say the command and if the dog doesn't come, give the leash a short tug. Start with short distances and gradually extend the distance as your dog becomes more familiar with the command. Over time, you will reduce the treats and increase the praise until praise is the only reward. Another thing to remember is to never call a dog to you to discipline it, go to the dog. During training I don't call a dog to me unless it is going to be pleasant for the dog. I usually don't have much of a problem since the dogs quickly learn that I have thinly sliced hot dog treats just waiting for them to obey me.

.

I alway recommend starting inside since most dogs are more than willing to come when inside. You can even have a helper and both call the dog to them in turn rewarding the dog for coming to you. This type of training usually gets a dog responding to you immediately because they want that special treat, so definitely use hot dog sliced paper thin or liver slivers. Almost all dogs work for them.

This will help with the situation. The obedience training establishes you as the boss and as the boss, the yard is yours to protect, not his. Some dogs get used to ignoring the command come so changing to a different word like "HERE" often also helps the situation.

Another alternative would be to use the electric ground fence to create a dog free zone through the yard to your door. If this is the inground fence as it seems it is, you should be able to run two wires on either side of the drive and a walkway. This would prevent the dog from getting to visitors but you would need to clearly mark the walkway and put a sign telling people that there is an electronic fence and they need to stay on the pathway.

Now some dogs will run through these fences, but if you run two wires along either side, he won't be able to run through as the other wire will still be in range of him. Once he learns these new boundaries, he shouldn't go on the pathway even if visitors are there.

The other thing you can do is leash him with a long leash and have people come over and when he starts to go for them, give a tug to get his attention and a firm low toned "NO". As soon as he stops trying to go for them, then reward him with the special treats. YOu need to do this over and over and over again with first one person then another and another until he stops the behavior. It would still be helpful regardless of whether he continues the behavior to put in the safe zone for the walkway.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.