Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

Our around 13 week collie tries to chase cars when out walking,we

Our around 13 week collie tries to chase cars when out walking,we changed from collar to harness to prevent damage to her neck.She howls and throws herself at them, even though we try to distract her with squeaking ball/throwing ball/calling her name/giving treats when she ignores car.We take her to a roadside park area and let her chase the ball on an extending lead to get her used to ignoring cars in a fun way,this sometimes works, walking to park or beach is a nightmare as she howls really loudly and throws herself in the direction of the cars as we walk along the pavement.nothing distracts her then she gets fixated on them.We don't drive or have a car(and she gets carsick) so have to walk to the beach/park.Once she is there is very sociable,with the other dogs,crawls on her tummy towards them, then rolls on her back and pees herself then gets a bit too excitable for them.She came from a farm and was the runt of the litter. she constantly jumps on sofa,even though we have never allowed her to get up.We say 'off' and move her off, giving a treat when she comes down, but when we move to remove her,she 'burrows down' and goes limp to make it harder for us to move her. and bites us thinking its a game.Shes now progressed to trying to leap from the back of the sofa onto the large(unused) fireplace mantlepiece which the sofa is against.She sleeps in the kitchen but we also bought her a cratemat to sit on the floor next to the sofa so she can be near us. We call her to stroke her, but although we try to keep her calm it often rapidly moves into her biting us, we turn our back and ignore her but its not always possible as it can be really sore and ruins clothes with her teeth catching them.She has plenty of chew/kong and throwing toys but we never play tug of war.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
HiCustomer
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
.
How long have you had her?
Is she done her shots yet?
Has she had any obedience training?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry 13 was a typo , she is around 16 weeks, we have had her for almost 9 weeks. She has had all her shots. We are having to train her ourselves as I cant find a training class within walking distance for her and late enough (I finish work at 6) She gets terribly car sick so I cant even take a taxi. She will sit, lay down, come and is learning stay.She is house trained, fetches the ball but doesn't drop it properly yet. She understands ..off. but chooses not to.

Anne,
I've received your responses and you have a lot of different issues so it is going to take some time to type up the response. You might want to do some stuff and come back.
Anne,
It sounds like most of what you are seeing is puppy behavior and related to the breed. Collies are a herding breed and very energetic. They need an outlet for all that energy.
It sounds like you have a yard even if it may be small. Getting an automatic ball throwing machine may allow you to put her in the garden and let her chase down the balls and put them back into the machine. This will allow her to use up a lot of excess energy. This would make it easier to work with her on her other issues.
I'm glad to hear you are obedience training her. That is very important and it sounds like she is making progress which is good. You might look at the following site to give you some ideas on training for obedience. The following site is helpful for teaching you how to train your dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.
http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html
Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm
.
Now you need to keep her off the furniture. right now your are telling her to get down and when she does rewarding her. She is learning that if she gets up and then gets down when you ask her to, she gets treats. So instead, keep a short leash on her and use it to give a short tug and a firm low toned (growl like) "NO". Then use it to make her get off the furniture. DO NOT reward her for getting down. Try to catch her before she gets on the furniture and give the same reprimand if she looks like she is going to try and get on the furniture. That is the negative consequences for the undesired behavior.
Now here is the positive reinforcement part which is just as important. When she comes up to the couch and stops and lays down or doesn't jump up, then reward her with the special treat.
Then you want to leash train her. I'm going to give you the instructions that I give all my clients on leash training. This will help teach her where she should be on the walk. She is still very young so it may take her a little time to be perfect.
Leash training instructions.
Number one, put your dog on a leash before leaving the house. Make your dog sit or lie down before leaving. You walk out first and the dog should follow you out. With a proper walk, the dog should be right at your side or slightly behind. You dog should be paying attention to you, frequently glancing at you to be sure you haven't changed your mind about where you are going. I will be using the word correction. A correction will indicate a short quick tug and release of the leash.
If they won't move or are hesitant, stopping, laying down, a stinky, tasty treat usually convinces them to follow. I use almost paper think pieces of hot dog as the oil from them coats your hand and keeps the smell on your hand. Let the dog smell the treat in your closed hand. If they get up and come to your side, feed them the treat. Put another in your closed fist and let the dog smell it as you move forward. The dog should follow. If he normally doesn't move forward, reward him with a treat and verbal praise. Gradually increase the amount of steps he must take by your side, smelling your hand in order to get a treat. Before you know it, your dog will be walking right next to you all the time, with or without treats. When you stop, praise your dog with your voice or a few pats to let your dog know how good he has done.
Important note: If he starts to stop or lays down, do not give him a treat, as this will teach him that if he does that you will give the treat. Try to time it so that he is always moving forward when a treat is given.
Once he is walking on a leash, he may start moving in front or pulling away from you. Keep your leash short, but without pressure on it. If the dog starts moving away, a correction toward you should be made. This shouldn't be a dragging, but more of a tug to get their attention. Occasional treats help with this phase too. If they stay where they belong for a time, reward them. Once your dog is pretty much always walking at your side, you will want to make a correction any time they stop paying attention to you. For instance, they are looking at a cat in a yard, give a correction so they look at you. They are busy looking ahead and haven't glanced at you for awhile, give a correction and reverse your direction. Do not stop and wait for the dog, just a quick correction and reverse and walk. They learn to keep an eye on you as well as on what else is going on.
The only way you can accomplish a lot of this is to wear her out before you train so she is calmer. As she matures, she should become calmer but as a breed, she is going to have that urge to chase, herd and nip at heels. If possible you will want to find a playmate for her that is also a high energy dog to play in the garden together.
.
Definitely work on the obedience training more, and institute the changes I recommended. Get some sort of throwing machine for the balls so you don't wear your arm out and see about finding a playmate that can come to the house and play at least a couple of times a week.
One thing I didn't mention is the nipping. If it is at your hands, you need to give the reprimand and stop any interaction with her. If she continues, then you can move your had further into her mouth which will cause a little gagging which usually stops the behavior after only a few times. If she is nipping your heels, bring your heels up in the back when walking. When you walk like this, it frequently results in the dog having to dodge your heel when she tries to nip your heel and grab your pants. She is also likely to get a heel on her chin which stops the behavior almost immediately.
She is still quite young and the behavior you are seeing is for the most part quite normal for the age and breed. It is possibly a little more frequent due to the breed, but I'm confident things will straighten out as she matures as long as she has an outlet for her energy.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
HI,
Just a quick note to see if you have had a chance to try any of my suggestions yet. i hope you found my suggestions helpful.